IGNORED

Hazard Warning Lights for RSV ?

BikeDaft2

Does anyone know if its possible to wire up Hazard warning lights on the Royal Star Venture. I've checked star accessories, but don't see any options within electrical.

Has anyone managed to figure out how to perhaps get this feature wired on the bike ?

Does anyone know if its possible to wire up Hazard warning lights on the Royal Star Venture. I've checked star accessories, but don't see any options within electrical.

Has anyone managed to figure out how to perhaps get this feature wired on the bike ?

I guess I am confused as to what you mean by "Hazard" lights? Isn't that the same as "flashers"? On my "05 RSV" the switch on the right side turns on all the turn signals / flashers / hazard lights.

Bryan

I note that BikeDaft2 says he lives in Scotland and IIRC the european model does not have hazard flashing lights installed from the factory.

I don't know what would be involved with installing factory parts, but if you look at the US service manual and parts listing you can find what is used (the are both free to download from the VRTech link on the left hand column on EVERY page here at THE forum), and compare it to the UK manuals to see the differences.

If you can provide me with the UK manuals electronically, and if I can eek out some time, I might be able to let you know what is necessary, but you might have more fun and understand you bike better if you do it yourself. Pride of ownership goes up!!!!!!!!

Good luck and PLEASE report back if you take on the project.

That sounds promising.

My BMW R1100RS had a blank switch on it. I discovered that the bike had the wiring for the hazard warning present in the loom. I bought a switch, found the plug socket in the loom and connected things up. Hey presto - Hazard Warning Lights.

I suspect the wiring might be present on this bike also. Hopefully all that is needed is the switch to make things work and finding a way to connect it up.

By the sounds of things I may have to consider getting the switch gear from a bike that has the switch and hopefully by plugging that in, I should have hazard warning lights.

I'll do further research. Thanks

That sounds promising.

My BMW R1100RS had a blank switch on it. I discovered that the bike had the wiring for the hazard warning present in the loom. I bought a switch, found the plug socket in the loom and connected things up. Hey presto - Hazard Warning Lights.

I suspect the wiring might be present on this bike also. Hopefully all that is needed is the switch to make things work and finding a way to connect it up.

By the sounds of things I may have to consider getting the switch gear from a bike that has the switch and hopefully by plugging that in, I should have hazard warning lights.

I'll do further research. Thanks

Let me now when you find out

Mi bike (european model) dont have the hazard instalation to :doh:

I note that BikeDaft2 says he lives in Scotland and IIRC the european model does not have hazard flashing lights installed from the factory.

I don't know what would be involved with installing factory parts, but if you look at the US service manual and parts listing you can find what is used (the are both free to download from the VRTech link on the left hand column on EVERY page here at THE forum), and compare it to the UK manuals to see the differences.

If you can provide me with the UK manuals electronically, and if I can eek out some time, I might be able to let you know what is necessary, but you might have more fun and understand you bike better if you do it yourself. Pride of ownership goes up!!!!!!!!

Good luck and PLEASE report back if you take on the project.

Thats the problem

there is... or in my notice no european manual at least a had to download the manuals here.

so compare to the manuals is no option for me

Could someone explain the slide switch positions on RH controls for the US model.

On mine this simply operates the lights e.g. side lights and main lights.

Do you have the same with an extra position to switch on hazard ( flasher ) warning lights ?

My initial research seems to indicate different functions being available from the slide switch on the RH controls.

On the US models - it seems to be only for hazard(flasher) lights. This suggests to me that the US models may have their lights on all the time and owners aren't able to turn these off.

On the UK models - we have a two position switch which allows us to turn on side lights and the main lights.

On the Tour Custom model - this switch seems to be for switching on the cruise control.

From my perspective - it looks like this won't be a simple job and I'd need to consider getting an after market switch I think to wire up .

On the 2001 RSV US model we have:

Left side (where driver's left hand would go):

- Headlamp High/Low toggle (No off option)

- Turn signals (blinkers) (Left/right, push in for off)

- Horn

Right side (where driver's right hand would go):

- Engine shut off switch (Red one)

- Cruise control toggle (Up for resume/accelerate; down for set/decelerate)

- Cruise control cancel

- Hazard on/off toggle (causes both, left and right, turn signals to flash simultaneously on both front and back of the bike) -- this is the toggle switch that is to the left of the cruise and unlabeled. It has 2 positions, up and down.

- Starter button

Another thought is that I believe there may be an extra relay for the flashers, so you may want/need to check for that as well.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

If it turns out it will not be a simple 'plug and play' type setup, it probably would not be all that difficult to put in a switch somewhere and a relay that taps into the existing turn signal circuit to activate the four way flashers. In reality, that method may be cheaper as well.

Thanks everyone who has replied and for the photos to confirm the setup on the US bikes.

It confirms to me that the European bike owners would need to look at putting in a separate switch somewhere if they wished to get hazard warnings working on their bikes.

I found this item on ebay which is a kit to fit Hazard Warning Lights on a motorbike that doesn't have them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-ELECTRONIC-HAZARD-WARNING-LIGHT-KIT-EasyFit_W0QQitemZ180394848500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2a005ef0f4

Edited by BikeDaft2

Thanks everyone who has replied and for the photos to confirm the setup on the US bikes.

It confirms to me that the European bike owners would need to look at putting in a separate switch somewhere if they wished to get hazard warnings working on their bikes.

I found this item on ebay which is a kit to fit Hazard Warning Lights on a motorbike that doesn't have them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-ELECTRONIC-HAZARD-WARNING-LIGHT-KIT-EasyFit_W0QQitemZ180394848500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2a005ef0f4

Hm.........not bad but.........i pass

size off a box with safety matches en shippingcost for a goldbar:thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a simple and cheap setup I used on my 07 Tour Deluxe which does not come with 4 way flashers as the Venture does. http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/13/103/ I put the toggle switch on the center cover[under the seat and directly behind engine]because that isn't removed as often as the left side cover and can still access the switch while seated.Just be sure to keep the switch low enough to clear the fuel pump.Hope this helps,Herb.

Just to let everyone know I'm sorted.......I bought the kit described below. Easy to fit once you take off the front nose fairing. I decided to mount the switch that the kit supplies on the RH dash on the panel that side. Its quite neat, everything works and it looks ok.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-ELECTRONIC-HAZARD-WARNING-LIGHT-KIT-EasyFit_W0QQitemZ180394848500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2a005ef0f4

Power wise I tapped into the ignition circuit, which is similar to the way the BMW R1100RS I also have is wired.

I've kept my switch to switch on lights and now also have hazard warning switch for flashers available.

Thanks all for the support and the interest.

• 1 month later...