IGNORED

Cracked windshield mounting holes

Midrsv

http://www.motorsportssupercenter.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

It will be the bolt in the middle of the wind screen support labeled #8. The pic only shows 1 bolt but there should be two of them spaced about 2 inches apart.

Well I tested my pic and it didn't bring up the diagram. Just enter 2008 RSV then pull down the diagram for "cowling #1".

• 1 year later...
My 2008 also had the fairing screw holes for the windshield mount cracked. It was replaced under warranty. Dealer balked... but a call to Yamaha took care of it.

I believe as others, that over tightening screws on ABS plastic can easily cause this. IMHO, this is a poor design. I plan on strengthening my mounts in the summer with possible metal strips, fiberglass, something...

Maybe drilling out the hole to a larger size - then placing a sleeve over the bolt to allow tightening the windshield without crushing the ABS fairing. Thoughts?

The end windshield bar mount fix will also be completed.

johnb

You might want to consider bolstering the area with additional abs rather than using fiberglass etc.

Abs can be bought in sheets for next to no money, it will bond with MEK ($10 per quart).

The resulting bond will be as strong as the original plastic (but much thicker now), and should add much strength to those areas.

You can do this to any weak points on fairing tabs.

My bolts where missing originally too. Had the little wire tie and that was it. It's amazing how many are like that. It almost has to be the dealers employees assembling them wrong. They had put my front wheel on backwards also. I caught that after a couple of thousand miles and made them replace the tire even though I had to ride 260 miles round trip to do it.

Well this is not the way I wanted to test the dealerships service but I'm hoping for the best. I stopped at my local dealer and got a brush off. So we went 50 miles to Omaha. I don't mind the drive to get a dealer that will do the job right.

Time will tell

Frank