Anybody have an extra cam cap laying around they don't need? I'm assuming all the caps are the same? I'm still collecting the few parts that got broken when one of my engines fell off my trailer and onto the pavement. Another member was already most helpful with valve covers and a side cover. I think all I need now is one cam cap. I'll find out if there's anything I'm forgetting this spring when I get ambitious enough to dig the engine out of my shed. It's the engine that came in my bike. I thought it was bad when I heard some strange noises coming out of it. It turned out to be the exhaust collector. :buttkick:

All caps are not the same thing. When these are manufactured, the caps are installed on the heads with no cams in them and then the bearing surfaces are honed out to be in a perfectly straight line. Another cap will not be honed properly to fit. That's why the caps are numbered. They are not interchangeable. The options are to fix the cap you have, or if that's not possible, then to take the head and new cap to a machine shop to have it machined and honed out to fit.

Pegscrapper is correct,

The Caps are match bored for each head. In a pinch, I have had good luck taking several caps and using Plasti-gage (green) you can check the clearance on each of the caps until you find one close enough to being in spec to be useable. Option two would be to machine .015 off the bottom of one of the cam caps you get from Dan and then set the head up on a milling machine and re-bore the cam cap to match the cylinder head. Option one is a LOT cheaper but will take some time. But if you are like me, I have more time than money these days!:confused24:

Earl

In a pinch, I have had good luck taking several caps and using Plasti-gage (green) you can check the clearance on each of the caps until you find one close enough to being in spec to be useable.

This works as I seen a member here do this.

Brad

All caps are not the same thing. When these are manufactured, the caps are installed on the heads with no cams in them and then the bearing surfaces are honed out to be in a perfectly straight line. Another cap will not be honed properly to fit. That's why the caps are numbered. They are not interchangeable. The options are to fix the cap you have, or if that's not possible, then to take the head and new cap to a machine shop to have it machined and honed out to fit.

Yes, I knew all that. I have been able to learn something in the 30+ years of experience. But thanks for the heads up anyway.

Like Skydoc mentioned. The plan was to use some plastigauge to check the clearance. Then, if needed, shave a tad off the caps and do a line bore.

You knew all that, but you still asked if all caps are the same thing. :confused24: Whatever. I guess your little signature illustration there explains it all.

Sorry, I didn't mean any insult there. No need for either of us to get our undies in a bunch.

I didn't realize I would have to get anal and quote just exactly what part of your previous post I was referring to. I didn't say I knew EVERYTHING. And what I wasn't positive about, I asked. And I did thank you for your input.

But judging from your snide comment about my signature, I'm not so sure it's just about anything I said.

Others can have their beliefs, I can have mine. I won't even ask about yours. I don't feel the need to say anything derogatory about you because it doesn't really bother to me as to what you may or may not believe. Besides, I don't even know you. I've never met you. For all I know, you could be the greatest person that has ever lived.

About all I can do, is try to be the best possible person I can be, and hope it rubs off on the next person.

:bighug:

Sorry, I didn't mean any insult there. No need for either of us to get our undies in a bunch.

I didn't realize I would have to get anal and quote just exactly what part of your previous post I was referring to. I didn't say I knew EVERYTHING. And what I wasn't positive about, I asked. And I did thank you for your input.

But judging from your snide comment about my signature, I'm not so sure it's just about anything I said.

Others can have their beliefs, I can have mine. I won't even ask about yours. I don't feel the need to say anything derogatory about you because it doesn't really bother to me as to what you may or may not believe. Besides, I don't even know you. I've never met you. For all I know, you could be the greatest person that has ever lived.

About all I can do, is try to be the best possible person I can be, and hope it rubs off on the next person.

:bighug:

But if I were to put a cross on my signature, and say that "if you don't believe your an idiot that is going to hell", I think many would find that offensive.