IGNORED

Need a Trailer

BuddyRich

I need to get a 16 ft trailer or slightly bigger. Wanting to buy ,rent or borrow one. Youngest daughter is moving here from CA. I plan on going out the 2nd weekend in March and pick her and her stuff up. I'll be putting a 2000 Honda Civic on it which is 2300lbs and some change. Anybody have one for sale,rent or borrow?

dont know what is available in your area. or what it would cost to rent. Maybe buy a new tandem axle car trailer use it and sell it afterward. Might be about the same as renting. I also have thought about buying an enclosed trailer for stuff like that. Can also convert it for sleeping etc. Might work for trailering my bike to a M and E for me. My wife wont ride, so if I trailer it, She can come along!

Just my :2cents:.

I kinda had a similar situation a few years ago. The least expensive way I found was to drive out, in our Saturn, and rent (one way) a U-haul truck and car dolly. Loaded the house stuff in the truck and towed the Saturn back. If you have two drivers you could haul the Civic (FWD?) on the car dolly and your other driver drive your car back. IMHO you don't REALLY wanna tow an empty all the way to CA. A trailer that size will really trash your fuel mileage.

OR you could fly out and rent the truck and dolly. Air fare out there will not be THAT much more than the fuel, meals and wear and tear on the body.

A trailer that size will really trash your fuel mileage.

It's been a long time since I pulled a 16 ...... But having said that: '02 dodge 3500 standard cab diesel and chipped: 25mpg interstate @65-70mph. Same truck with a 24foot enclosed 15 chipped and 12 unchipped.

I'm thinking I was getting 16/17mpg with my 16 foot trailer

I would agree, fly over and rent a U-Haul/Hertz truck with car dolly for the return trip. It'll also save you hours of driving!