IGNORED

1st gen driver backrest

vic venture

I have ridden Vstar 1100's the last several years and I noticed that I could ride much further with the driver backrest then I could without. I can only make a couple hundred miles on the Vstar before my lower back says enough. I plan on riding some three day weekends and try to meet a few of you wonderful people out there on my 84 1st gen. It seems pretty comfy but I have not ridden far yet. Would it be worthwhile to pickup a backrest if one comes available or in your experience, does the stock seat bode well?:hurts::starz:

I have ridden Vstar 1100's the last several years and I noticed that I could ride much further with the driver backrest then I could without. I can only make a couple hundred miles on the Vstar before my lower back says enough. I plan on riding some three day weekends and try to meet a few of you wonderful people out there on my 84 1st gen. It seems pretty comfy but I have not ridden far yet. Would it be worthwhile to pickup a backrest if one comes available or in your experience, does the stock seat bode well?:hurts::starz:

Get a rest

I rode my '84 for two seasons without a back rest. The long days, 350-450 miles played havoc with my lower back. A year ago I found a lambskin seat cover. It was the 3/4 shorn type. That was a huge help with the pressure on the old tailbone. Just enough padding to take the edge off the pressure point.

Right at the end of last season I FINALLY found a decent back rest on eBay. I only got in about a 1,000 miles with the rest before it snowed but I am looking forward to my road trips this next season. Between the cover and the rest......nuttin but comfort.

The stock seat is doing fine for me. I'm 6'2" and 285 lbs. Long inseams work best with these wide seats.

All I can say is good luck finding a decent one for a reasonable price that fits the '83-'85 MKIs. And comes with all the parts!

Edited by Snaggletooth

I don't have a back rest on the '83, but..... I do have one of those duffle bags that when stuffed full of clothes for a 10 day trip... makes a dandy back rest when stowed in the passenger seat. I think it makes the most comfortable back rest anyone can have. Couldn't do a 600 mile day without something back there.

I found this one on eBay the other day. It's for a 94 Goldwing. Except for the mounting hardware, it looks identical to the one I had for a MKII a couple years back. I let that one go to someone here because I had a MKI and the mounting hardware was different. A year or so later I found the hardware for a MKI but no rest. Go figure! I'm hoping this wing rest fits nicely. I'll post later when I get it and tell if it fits or not.

I don't have a back rest on the '83, but..... I do have one of those duffle bags that when stuffed full of clothes for a 10 day trip... makes a dandy back rest when stowed in the passenger seat. I think it makes the most comfortable back rest anyone can have. Couldn't do a 600 mile day without something back there.

38 Double-D ???

I found this one on eBay the other day. It's for a 94 Goldwing. Except for the mounting hardware, it looks identical to the one I had for a MKII a couple years back. I let that one go to someone here because I had a MKI and the mounting hardware was different. A year or so later I found the hardware for a MKI but no rest. Go figure! I'm hoping this wing rest fits nicely. I'll post later when I get it and tell if it fits or not.

This is interesting as I have been trying to figure out what I have. My 88VR came with a mounting bar bolted in two places on each side to the bike (you can see the chrome bar in the pictures). I was in a cycle salvage shop and found a backrest off a GL1500, but missing half of the mounting bracket to attach it to the chrome bar. Mother fabricated the missing piece for me and voilà --- a very comfortable backrest that doesn't interfere with the passenger seating position and that is a good match for my original seat. I still don't know if the mounting bar was made for a VR, but it sure looks like it was. Appreciate any info on that.