IGNORED

by-pass neutral switch

emtdouggood

Is there away to by pass the neutarl switch. Drove the bike today only went 1 mile. I shut it off then it would not start. The neutral light stays on no matter what gear. After trying to shift it to find neutral the light went dim when pulling the clutch in. Then after a few trys it started.Also when i put up the kick stand up the n. light went off. Im guessing its the switch. The bike started everyday this winter with no problem.

Edited by emtdouggood

Was the kickstand down when you tried to start? I do believe that the bike will not start with the stand down and not in neutral.

Also, if you wanted to bypass the neutral switch, I wonder if you could just jump the two wires together? I'm not sure if this would work, maybe someone can either back me up or call it a stupid idea??

Was the kickstand down when you tried to start? I do believe that the bike will not start with the stand down and not in neutral.

Also, if you wanted to bypass the neutral switch, I wonder if you could just jump the two wires together? I'm not sure if this would work, maybe someone can either back me up or call it a stupid idea??

Yep, just jump the connector at the switch--after you unplug it--- should work if the switch is bad.

BOO

Wait Wait Wait after I went back and read the thread, I don't think the switch at the kickstand is the problem. I believe it's the indicator switch inside the tranny, sounds like it's not working properly. BUT I didn't know it would have any effect on the starting of the bike so I guess I am confused as to what's happening exactly.

BOO

Is there away to by pass the neutarl switch. Drove the bike today only went 1 mile. I shut it off then it would not start. The neutral light stays on no matter what gear. After trying to shift it to find neutral the light went dim when pulling the clutch in. Then after a few trys it started.Also when i put up the kick stand up the n. light went off. Im guessing its the switch. The bike started everyday this winter with no problem.

Attached below is PDF file showing the 83 starting circuits in three different configurations. 1st is bike at rest, 2nd is key on & in neutral, 3rd is key on, in gear, side stand up & clutch pulled in.

Also attached are a couple of pictures of the inside of the neutral indicator switch. I don't believe that a failure is likely inside this switch that would give you a constant neutral indication on the cluster.

The neutral light on the dash has ground fed from the neutral switch. A bare wire or connection along this circuit could give you the dash indication yet would not blow a fuse.

Also check your wiring connection at the clutch switch. I have had the switch back out of the housing and give me a start circuit failure. This will not however cause the neutral light indication symptom.

If you are having a neutral circuit failure, putting the side stand up & pulling clutch in should allow start circuit to operate. If it does not, there is another circuit failure.

Gary

Edited by dingy
added last paragraph

Found one connection loose but it starts every time. but the neutral light stays one.:think:

The neutral wire connector is very close to the rear shock damper adjustment on left side of bike. It is a single 'Butt" type connector. I believe it is a Sky Blue wire (light blue, but probably oil stained in this area).

Try disconnecting Butt connection and see if this affects neutral light.

If light stays on, you may have a short to ground in that circuit.

Also, here is a link to online wiring schematic for your bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42384

Look at the 83 XVZ12TK, first one in list. The third one in list is the simplified version, easier to read, but doesn't show connectors.

Let me know, and I can further help you troubleshoot this if you want.

Gary

My situation is sort of the opposite and is more of an annoyance than a real problem. Anyway, I would appreciate any advice on whether there might be an easy repair. In my case, the neutral light works properly. It is the gear indicator which has gone from showing neutral to showing 1st when I am actually in neutral. Is there an easy fix or adjustment for this?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42539

Evan,

Look at thread shown above.

It has some pictures of neutral switch in a Royale version.

Also shows the position in bike.

Not really an adjustment in there.

Could be the brass tip on end of transmission cam is worn out.

Does the indicator always stay in first or does it cycle through gears?

Possibly the 3 screws that hold the plastic switch plate to the engine case are loose.

Gary