IGNORED

No Titles

emtdouggood

I noticed several people are selling bikes as parts bikes because they dont have titles.I had a 1981 sr250 that had no title. The last it was titled was in Ohio in 1987. I live in Indiana. Being the privacy act I was not allowed the names on the last owner that had a title.So I tried to go through the Indiana BMV. that was like talking to a wall. The next step was to go to court to get a judge to sign so i could get a title. The cost was $130 just to go in the court room. With the chance the judge says no i did not go that route. Found a place on the internet called International title.. Called the number sent the paper work they requested. Three weeks later I had a registration and plate. This was from Maine. (legal)Transferd plates to Indiana and it was done. Some states dont need a title for motorcycles after 15 years. Just thought this might help someone out...By the way the plates and registration cost me $140 through International title.

Edited by emtdouggood

Here in California if a bike has no activity for 7 years it falls out of the system, but over that 7 years it can accumulate a ton of fees and fines for non renewal of registration. That's one of the big reasons sellers conviently lose the title, and they end up 'parts' bikes. The sad thing is all the owner had to do was non-op the bike instead of ignoring the renewal notices. All a non-op cost is $10 bucks and lasts forever. I've looked at a few 1stGens that have been sitting and the DMV fines, plus a couple of hundred asking bucks, were way more than the thing was worth. So the asking wasn't any deal at all... I did luck out on one bike that hadn't been renewed for a couple of years. The guy had never completed the name change from the previous, but had paid the transfer fees, which remained on account until I went down to get the bike in my name. Expected a $250 dollar DMV fee and ended up paying $60 bucks. WOOT!!

I looked into using one of those companies that washed titles but the fees were on the high side, and they only went back 10 years..or so...

Here in California if a bike has no activity for 7 years it falls out of the system, but over that 7 years it can accumulate a ton of fees and fines for non renewal of registration.

WOW!

I can think of at least a dozen reasons to not renew a reg in any given year and none of them should be illegal.

In Michigan if a vehicle is six or more years old and worth less than $2,500 you can obtain a title by filing an Ownership Certification FORM TR-205 with the Secretary of State.

They have the State Police check the VIN and if it's not reported stolen they'll issue a title. Took about 20 minutes when I did it.

In Michigan if a vehicle is six or more years old and worth less than $2,500 you can obtain a title by filing an Ownership Certification FORM TR-205 with the Secretary of State.

They have the State Police check the VIN and if it's not reported stolen they'll issue a title. Took about 20 minutes when I did it.

Wish it were that simple around here...

I can think of at least a dozen reasons to not renew a reg in any given year and none of them should be illegal.

Nothing eligal about not registering a vehicle, but late fees will continue to pile up until you do.....

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding this.

Indulge me for a moment.

I own four motorcycles. Last year I had the money to insure and plate all four.

Every thing is good.

This year I have the money to insure and plate only one of them. The other three bikes just sit in my garage.

Same story the next year.

Sooo, those three bikes are going to incur late fees for plates even though they're not on the road?........unless I notify the California government at the beginning?

WOW!

When I lived in Florida I had to fill out an affidavit stating that the vehicles I had

"sitting" were inoperable or in repair, which meant that I couldn't have been

driving around with an out of date tag decal.

This was for cars and trucks i owned, so I suspect it would follow for bikes

as well. I always felt the registration/sticker thing is a racket...

They seem to be much better/cheaper ways to identify vehicles.:sun1::sun1::sun1:

As a side note, on my 1986 VR !st gen. I bought on ebay for $1,200.00

from a dealer WAY FAR AWAY in Oregon, and I mislaid all the paperwork,

so I just have been riding around with the plate they gave me, and it has

a 2000 sticker on it! I have been stopped police in TN for no helmut, but

they never said anything about my tag!

Sunrayman

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding this.

Indulge me for a moment.

I own four motorcycles. Last year I had the money to insure and plate all four.

Every thing is good.

This year I have the money to insure and plate only one of them. The other three bikes just sit in my garage.

Same story the next year.

Sooo, those three bikes are going to incur late fees for plates even though they're not on the road?........unless I notify the California government at the beginning?

WOW!

Yep, Send 'm the money for the three you have sitting...... We need it!! :sign20: