IGNORED

Broken Chin

MikesBike

It sounds worse than it really is... At some point in its long life, my new to me '89 VR had fallen on its right side and damaged the chin fairing. One of the bolt holes on this side has been torn completely away. I'm wondering if someone might have a damaged chin laying around with a good right side? My plan is to graft this side onto mine using some glue I got from the plastic supply place. They say it's supposed to make a molecular bond with ABS plastic. We'll see when I try to repair the cracks...

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Hey Mike,

Happy new Year to you. If we are talking about the "scoop" looking plastic part that covers the oil filter then I am pretty sure I have a black one from an 86'VR with the tab broken on the left side. It's yours for the cost of the shipping. PM me if you are interested.:thumbsup2:

Hope this helps,

Earl

One of the bolt holes on this side has been torn completely away. I'm wondering if someone might have a damaged chin laying around with a good right side? My plan is to graft this side onto mine using some glue I got from the plastic supply place. They say it's supposed to make a molecular bond with ABS plastic. We'll see when I try to repair the cracks...

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Whether you make one out of two or decide to repair one of them, you might want to also check out the video on the Plastex web site that shows how the Plastex kit can be used to shape new tabs or rebuild missing pieces. It can be finished so you can't see the joints. Several members including Mother and Saddkebum have restored crashed VR's with this stuff.

I think the fairing Skydoc sent is in better shape than the one I have! I may have to saw off the left side of mine and use it to fix his. :hihi: I've seen the Plastex video and it looks intriguing but I'm on a tight budget and trying to squeak through as cheaply as possible (bad way to be but that's the way it is). I visited a plastic supply place in town and when I explained what I was trying to do, the salesman there gave me a glass bottle with an ABS glue inside. Apparently it had been sitting on his shelf for quite some time and he wanted rid of it. Says it's supposed to make a molecular bond in the ABS plastic. Worst condition is I've ruined two broken fairings, best condition is a repaired and functional fairing thanks to Skydoc. I'll know soon... and I'll try to get some pictures. I still need to find the hole in the elbow pipe and fix that leak. Oh, what fun...

I've seen the Plastex video and it looks intriguing but I'm on a tight budget and trying to squeak through as cheaply as possible (bad way to be but that's the way it is). I visited a plastic supply place in town and when I explained what I was trying to do, the salesman there gave me a glass bottle with an ABS glue inside. Apparently it had been sitting on his shelf for quite some time and he wanted rid of it. Says it's supposed to make a molecular bond in the ABS plastic. Worst condition is I've ruined two broken fairings, best condition is a repaired and functional fairing thanks to Skydoc. I'll know soon... and I'll try to get some pictures. I still need to find the hole in the elbow pipe and fix that leak. Oh, what fun...

Good luck Mike. I sure understand the need for reducing costs where you can. Got lucky today with the weather here in Toronto and was able to ride a bit and I took the time to take a pic of a Plastex repair job on my 88VR. The luggage box lid was cracked so bad that a chunk about 1 inch square was missing. With some scotch tape on one side, I filled the hole with Plastex and the result was a repair that seems stronger than original. I replaced some missing tabs in a similar way as you can cut / sand / drill the Plastex once it is bonded and set.