IGNORED

Avon Tire Pressures - From Avon USA

I know that there have been several threads on this but I did not want this information to be buried.

I wrote an email to Avon questioning them about the optimum tire pressures based

on different weight configurations of the bike. Below is my query and the response.

I removed the reps name and extension number because I did not ask for his approval

to use his name.

I always carry a toolkit for both metric and standard (which by the way I have only had

to use twice and both times was for Harley's . . . just the facts ma'am) so that is why

the extra weight for the tool kit.

Anyway here is the information. Note that they did not provide me with a formula:

RESPONSE

Hi Kevin, I have included the pressures below next to the configurations. If you have any other questions please let me know.

- - - - - - - -

Mickey Thompson Tires

Technical Service Representative

1-800-222-9092 Ext.- - - -

QUERY

Dear Sir or Madam,

I own a 2006 Yamaha Venture (Model XVZ13) I recently purchased the Venom rear tire for this bike.

I am on a very active forum for this bike and there has been much discussion about the appropriate

tire pressure. I would like to assure that I am using the correct information for setting my tire pressures.

The following are the weights applicable for my operation of this bike

Bike - XVZ 1300 Royal Star, Venture, Classic, Tour Deluxe

Tire Model - Venom

Tire Size - Front - 150/80-16 71H

Tire Size - Rear - 150/90B15 80H

Tool Kit - 15 Lbs

Rider Weight - 200 Lbs

Passenger Weight - 150 Lbs

Baggage Weight - 50 Lbs

It is my understanding that different weights will change the optimum tire pressure.

Can you please advise the optimum tire pressure for the following configurations as

well as if there is a formula I can use to determine the optimum tire pressure

based on load weight?

Configuration 1 - Tool Kit, Rider 36 front 42 rear

Configuration 2 - Tool Kit, Rider, Passenger 37 front 44 rear

Configuration 3 - Tool Kit, Rider, Passenger,Baggage weight 38 front 45 rear

Just thought that you might be able to use this information.

Edited by AKRefugee
typo

Based on the information provided I would recommend everyone run 38 and 45 respectively.

If I were to come up with a formula for myself, wife(passenger), dog(passenger), and trailer I would have to inflate the tires to their rupture point or beyond. I'm thinking 59 front and 65 rear.

Oh well, good info none the less. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

http://webmail.att.net/wm/images/c0.gif

Dear Mr. Weir Please feel free to revisit Avon Tyres with me. So we both together cansee/read the info that you have requested, plus some. www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/ See, fitment guide - click; see, Choose A Manufacturer; see, the down arrow- click; see, Yamaha - click; see, Model/cc type in "1300"; see, go - click;see, XVZ 1300 Royal Star, Classic, Tour Deluxe (1995-2001) - click; see,Front (AM41) Venom 150/80-16 71H @ 36 p.s.i. (@ cold temp.'s) and Rear(AM42) Venom 150/90B15 M/C 80H @ 42 (42 = a misprint) should read 44 p.s.i.(@ cold temp.'s). NOTE; the front size, your MT90B16 74H AM41 Venom is not the OE size firthis model of motorcycle. So plus time for this custom front fitment. Please feel free to view the attachment that I have sent you. Note; Based on a ___170 lbs rider with no luggage; see, Venom Tires withreinforced construction (for both the MT90B16 74 AM41 Venom and 150/90B15M/C 80H AM42 Venom); see, Front Solo 38-40, 2 up light 40-41 (loads) and 2up heavy (loads) 42-43 and Rear Solo 44, 2 up light (load) 46 and 2 up heavy(load) 48-50; now see (that the bottom of this page) NOTE; This is a widerange recommendation for average conditions only. High speed riding and/orHigh road temperatures may require a moderate increase in pressure (also). I hope that I have answered your question. If not, please feel free to callme at 1-800-624-7470, Mon. thru Fri., 800 to 1700 hours PDT. Thank you for your interest in buying and using Avon Tyres.Regards, Keith