IGNORED

OK- what's next

Lobo Hurfiano

Do'es anyone here have 1st hand experince with the Voiger conversion?

I've recently converted my 86 VR but haven't had the opertunity to get any saddle time.

I'm looking for riding/ handleing tips.

I know I'll miss 2 wheeling, but I have a 2 up partiner now, and at 73 yr old I know my limitations.:backinmyday:

One of my friends has a Voyager kit on her Sporty. I've been on it only once, but I have spent enough time behind her to see a few high lights of what to do or not do with 2+2 wheels.

Watch your corners. It's alot wider than your scoot was. Don't turn so tight.

Easy on the rear brake. As often as I see smoke from her rear tire, it appears to be easier to lock down the rear with the extra wheels back there. I've asked, and she swears she is very light on the hind anchor.

Pay attention to the road surface. That's a big pile of unsprung weight hanging off your bike. I've seen the extra wheels bounce around enough to wonder how she stayed in the saddle. Keep an eye out for pot holes and chatter bumps.

Look out for high centers, or rather low centers. We've had to push her bike out of a low spot where the rear drive tire wasn't touching the ground enough to move the bike.

The Sporty goes thru tires more often with the extra wheels attached.

Watch your ground clearance. You've got more stuff hanging off the bottom of your bike

Your VR may be totally different, but those are the things that come to mind. I'll ask JJ if she has any other tips the next time I see her. She's been riding that thing for 4 years now and always says she loves it.

My buddy that I bought my bike from had his Goldwing triked this summer. He loves it and says he'll never go back to two wheels. He said the only real issue was learning to curve without leaning. I believe his trike corners better than my two wheeler, when we ride together I have to really throw mine into the curves to ride the same pace as him.

I had a Voyger kit on my Burgman scooter and loved it. The 1st thing I would do if you have not already is check to see that your insurance company will cover it! The little green lizard and several others WILL NOT, unless things have changed. If yours does not, call Voyager and they will tell you who will.

That being said, Don't put your feet down, you WILL run over them. Steering will feel funny at first, because you do have to drive it. There are some front end that will make steering easier. Other 1st Gen folks may chime in on that. What others have said about watching out for dips and ruts, you will highcenter the rear wheel and have to get off and push. :pushups:

If you look at the Voyager website there is a video to watch. They give some tips about riding. In it they mention that the inside wheel will in a hard turn come up. I never had the courage to push it that far. That doesn't mean I "poked" around super slab on/off ramps. The Burgman center of gravity may be much lower than a 1st gen, so you will have to learn your bike. Not having a reverse, pay attention to where you park. Either park with the front wheel up hill, or let it roll down hill backwards into a parking place.

One thing I REALLY liked about having the kit is that I could lock both front and rear wheel and the Burgman (at least) would slide arrow straight. :thumbsup2:

One thing I did not like was that tire wear was faster. Since you will not be leaning, you will wear the rear tire flat across the middle (HMMM, Darkside consideration?). On the Burgman at least the front tire not only wore on the middle but cupped somewhat too. I changed both at about 10,000 miles.

Main thing is get to know YOUR bike and enjoy!!!:sun:

Do'es anyone here have 1st hand experince with the Voiger conversion?

I've recently converted my 86 VR but haven't had the opertunity to get any saddle time.

I'm looking for riding/ handleing tips.

I know I'll miss 2 wheeling, but I have a 2 up partiner now, and at 73 yr old I know my limitations.:backinmyday:

Hey Lobo, Get in practise in a car park, or large area first. Get the "feel" of the bike changes. You drive it, not ride it, with a "push/pull" action on the handlebars. Do some circles and emergency stops, figure eights too.

Once your pre-load is adjusted it should ride real fine.

The inside wheel on the conversion is supposed to lift when cornering.

Until you feel comfortable, you may find you will need to go down that extra gear when turning a corner--especially two-up with a passenger. But once you get in ride time you'll know what works for you. I ride with Quickstep as passenger all the time, and he's 6'2" and 100Kgs.

I love the venture with outrider on, and it enables me to keep riding....................so enjoy.

Thanks, everybody, for your replies! I have to admit to a little gray lie, I have riden about 150 miles, after the conversion.

I bought my kit on e-Bay, the previous owner rode a Kawasaki 1200. After buying proper hardware, a buddy and I decided it would be a snap. WRONG!! Things just DID NOT fall together. Good instructions in the manual, but 2 pages stuck together, and we missed an important step, in the begining. We got really good at "go back and do it again"! After three (3) days work, we took it to a deserted parking lot. It pulled hard to the right, but I was on a crowned street, not so bad when I got on the level. Seemed to have a lot of lean and felt soft and tippy! Made some circles and quezzy figure 8's. My sweetie, Julia, climbed on, and we did it again, felt better that time. Next day rode home, 140 miles, turnpike speed, traffic and construction, my sweetie following behind white knuckled, watching me bouncing (like I was going over speed bumps) putting skid marks in my shorts.

After getting home, and standing back, looking at the set-up, I realized there was something awfully wrong.

When the factory recieves an order, they set up a frame, for a particular bike Kow 1200 (DUH!!). After careful measurements, I got the frame right! Which threw every thing else out of alinement!! Go back and do it again (pete and repete!!). Also, realized that I have been riding with air pressure and preload, set for 350 lbs.

I think we are ready to ride now, weather permitting. Practice, practice, practice. Only one remaining question, that I can think of at the moment: Should I change the pressure and preload, for each ride, depending on single, or 2 up with luggage? I'm 185 lbs. and Julia is 236 lbs. (and falling).

Thanks, again, for all the replys-informitive and fun reading.

Bill and Julia

Lobo Hurfiano and Alpha Female