IGNORED

Recording a video?

foxman

Hey Kevin,

I really like the colors on your bike! I made a mount for my GPS that is much steadier than the ram mount I had before. (see pics below) I would be willing to fab up a similar mount for your cam corder if you would like. If I can help you with this, please let me know.

Earl

NUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg

MOUNT COMPLETED.jpg

does your video camera have a "steadycam" feature? Look for it, a lot of the new ones have it. It may not solve all the problems though.

One thing I tried years ago when portable video was bigger than what they use at TV stations now, I wrapped my camera in 3" of foam from building car seats, and then tied that to the luggage rack of my MGB. The recorder part was briefcase size tied down in the passenger seat. Man, glad those days are over! LOL

Anyway, some "thinner" foam than what I used, but probably at least 1" thick cut so the camera pops into it, may work, and rig up some sort of mount that will hold it. Just an idea. Or maybe a hanging contraption like they use on microphones?

OH, just thought that the best video I see comes from helmet or body mounted cameras. your own body becomes the vibration absorber, so find a way to mount to your helmet or to your body (chest/shoulder?).

Edited by dynodon
added info

I mounted my camcorder on the handlebars with the RAM mount on which I do not use the camera lens for . I mounted a lipstick camera on top of my helmet . Unless you extremely cold with your teeth a chattering , it's a steady record . It also allows me to focus on the road more . The lipstck cam has a wire feeding to it which runs along the side of my mic wire .The lipstick camera setup has a pause/record button remote that I mount on the handlebars , so it does not distract my driving fiddling around for the record pause on the camcorder. Plus the lipstick cam is above the windshield !

Benefits :

*Allows more freedom to drive more safely

*Much better filming without the vibration

*Allows myself to record at what I am looking at and not having to turn the camcorder to catch a scene.

*Does not give cause for LEO to stop you , as it is illegal to have the monitor open for viewing in most states

*I can place weather protection over the camcorder in adverse weather , as the lipstick cam is water-proof

*I can draw power off the scoot using an inverter via the 110 power supply to leave the camera on at all times

Cons:

*Have extra wires and power cords to deal with (On which I bundle the excess and place into my windshield bags)

*Just have to be more careful with the helmet to not forget the lipstick cam is on top

*The camera record where I my head is turned too , Just have to remember to stop to get the most impressive shots

*Have to control myself when that beautiful BABE in the cage comes along side of you and not get a twist in the neck (perhaps this needs to be in the Benefits.....you decide)

My setup cost almost $100.00 and I believe it was worth it . Wife no longer got rubber arms holding the camcorder . There is also a switch-box you can get that you can mount 5 lipstick cams too . It has a monitor that can mount on the handlebars with a toggle to switch to one or more (split screen) cams . The switch-box is about the sixe of a box of Cracker Jacks and has LCD screen to view what your recording .

I cannot remember where I purchased the lipstick cam at , but I can research it if your interested .

BEER30