IGNORED

Dare I say...Mud Flap

rjmalizia

Hi cats!

I have this little dilemma: Looks like the last major ride of the season for me next week, and well the departure date is looking for sun, but the return date is calling for rain [imagine that, RAIN in Washington State].

anyway, when it came right down to it, i just couldn't it. I just couldn't put a couple of holes in the fender for a mud flap...

So after thinking about it for a while I came up with the idea of the "Anti-mud Flap". Basically I took a discarded log truck mud flap and cut it into a 2 foot by 1 foot chunk and hung it across the front of the bottom of the engine block; suspended by my case savers/crash bars, but not obstructing the radiator.

Haven't tested it out yet...still hate the idea of getting her wet if i don't really have to.

ANYWAY...i guess my real question here is: has anyone attempted this one before and if so, what was your out come.

I guess I'll post my results later...for anyone interested?

Winters coming...enjoy the fall!

:detective:

Hi cats!

anyway, when it came right down to it, i just couldn't it. I just couldn't put a couple of holes in the fender for a mud flap...

RJmalizia,

Here is a suggestion and this is how I installed my mud flap....

I removed the chrome piece that is located on the rear of the front fender.

Locate your mud flap where you want it on the back of the front fender.

I used small "C" clamps with tape on the ends so as not to scratch the paint on the fender

I know this is what you said you dont want to do , but hear me out please..

I then drilled (2) holes (for a 10/32 screw).

(1) 10/32 hole thru the fender and mud flap on one side, then the second hole is drilled on the other side of the fender and thru the mud flap with the second 10/32 screw.

NOTE: You drill these two holes (one each side of fender) so that they are located BEHIND the chrome piece so that when you re-install the chrome piece you will not see the two holes or the screws that you installed to hold your mud flap on with.

Both of these holes will NOT be visable once you install the chrome piece back on.

ALSO, The chrome piece has a locator pin in the center of it (aft end).

That locator pin in the chrome piece fits into a hole that is already in the center of the fender.

You will need to drill a hole in the mud flap so that the locating pin can go thru the mud flap and back into the locating hole in your fender.

When completely installed, your mud flap has two (10/32) screws and a locator pin holding it in place and it is also "squeezed" between the chrome piece and the fender. The chrome piece is held on by two other screws.

I attached a bad picture to show you but it is the only one I could find with the mud flap I added, but you can not see the screws or the two (10/32) holes I drilled in my fender because they are hid behind the chrome pice on the rear of my fender..

I did the same procedure as Eck......I felt the same way about drilling but the damage I was getting to my Wagner Grill helped me make up my mind ! I used a flat head brass screw and also filled the gap/ledge on the inside of the fender above the flap with silicone so nothing would hang up there.

Keith

Yeah...I took a quick look at that chrome cover the other night and for some reason I was thinking that it was riveted on. but now with a little better light on the subject, i see that it's just two very small Allen-Head bolts. definitely the better way to go.

As always...thanks for the help.

I think I better take a couple of pic's of the "Appron" for posterity's sake just the same thought, before i take it off...

:innocent-emoticon:

I then drilled (2) holes (for a 10/32 screw).

(1) 10/32 hole thru the fender and mud flap on one side, then the second hole is drilled on the other side of the fender and thru the mud flap with the second 10/32 screw...

Oh Eck,

What's this US-standard nut and bolt doing on a Metric bike? The shear thought of such an act. Countries have gone to war for lesser things! Beer spilled; Words said; A younger bother crying. [scarred for Life and still living that nightmare]

:rotf:

Just fun'n with yah!

Thanks again.

I just ordered the mud flaps from Timberwolf and they also require holes in the fender to mount. My RSV has the oversized chrome "mudflap" on the rear of the front fender which is held on with double sided tape. I also plan on removing this peice, installing the flap with flat head screws then re-attatching the chrome piece, just like Eck. I need to put a square hole in the rear flap to clear the hitch.

Oh Eck,

What's this US-standard nut and bolt doing on a Metric bike?

Just fun'n with yah!

Heck, Its just like my Chevy Silverado.....some bolts are metric some arent...sure keeps my mine sharp when working on it..ha.

:rasberry: