IGNORED

Small gash in tire side

crockettrider

I had the bike on the lift to do some repairs and noticed a small 3/16" deep slice/gash in the sidewall. of my Elite II.

I recently replaced a virtually new Avon due to a nail that friends convinced me to replace...

Dang, this is getting old.

It says the sidewall is 3 plies.

Still lots of tread on this sucker.

I know I should probably replace it and be safe but are the wife and I really worth the expense?:buttkick:

I'm in a dither with this......thoughts!

I know I can be annoying at times, but in general I kind of like me, so my answer to that one has to be "yes".

I really (secretly) know that but I keep thinking I can get rid of the wife....but I kinda like me too!:337:

Of course I'm still waitng for the tire expert to say "heck no, it's fine."

I guess I can look at the bright side and get to try the C.T. sitting in my shop a little sooner.....

I wouldn't even take it around the block. The scoot rides the same and has the same results if you are riding around the block or going on a trip. Doesn't seem to matter to the scoot at all, it'll dump you off just as easy on one or the other. 'course going around the block when it dumps you off may save a bit on transportation expenses for those who have to look after the remains, scoot is closer to home and the ugly parts don't need to have such a fancy car to ride in.

Got the picture?

I don't have a problem with a good patch/plug repair on the tire tread but a 3/16" deep gash in a sidewall isn't something that I would even consider riding with. Just my opinion, but I would replace it before I rode anywhere.

Ross

:sign yeah that:

I know not all of us agree about the 'to plug or not to plug' - in the tread question. BUT, sidewall blowouts are no fun - especially at highway speed. Don't ask me how I know :yikes::whistling:

Something that hasn't been answered yet is exactly where this gash is. If it is in the tread on the side, then it should not be a problem, because the grooves are deeper than that.

IF it is in between the tread blocks then it might be close to or in the cords.

Also we don't know how LONG the slice is. IF it is 3" long, that is bad, if it is 1/4" long, maybe not a problem. We can assume it isn't leaking any air, or can we? That is fairly easy to test though.

If it is on the true sidewall of the tire then I would be wary of it, but if the cut is very short, I would feel better than if it was 3" long.

Some more info would be helpful, but basically, if truly on the sidewall, then the safest thing would be to replace the tire.

Come to think of it: gash or crack? What's the manufacture date? I had a tire that cracked pretty badly. Seems there was a period where they had problems with sidewall cracks fairly close to the bead. That seems to have passed. I think the problem was in the fall of '07, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Sorry for not answering sooner. I have been running.

The "gash" is maybe 1" long. It is on the sidewall proper. It does say 3 ply sidewall.

I can pull the rubber back with a pick but it's real hard to tell exactly how deep it is. 3/16" is my best guess.

I had it on the lift and may just pull the tire to get a real good look at it.

Thanks for the responses. especially fond of the carnage and messy cleanup post. Always entertaining first thing in the morning:moon: