IGNORED

Antenna Location Which Is Right????

Whitlow

So I was looking at another picture of a RSV and my CB antenna is on the opposite side of the picture of another RSV. Which is right? I know my radio picks up good but me CB does not. At least not as good as I thought it should. Mine is an 03 and the other picture is an 09 would that make a difference?

Thanks

The CB radio is in a box under the trunk. The antenna wire that comes out of that box should go to the CB antenna -- the antenna with the black part in the middle of it. The other antenna (no black part) should be connected to a wire that goes under the seat, under the gas tank and into the fairing, where the AM/FM radio is located.

Whitlow,

Yours is mounted as are all of them I've seen (mine included). But it really doesn't matter which side is on as long as it's in tune. Tuning can be done with any SWR meter and Motorola adapters.

The tuning affects transmission more than reception. An 1/8" change in antenna length can make a whopping difference in transmission distance.

Whitlow,

Yours is mounted as are all of them I've seen (mine included). But it really doesn't matter which side is on as long as it's in tune. Tuning can be done with any SWR meter and Motorola adapters.

The tuning affects transmission more than reception. An 1/8" change in antenna length can make a whopping difference in transmission distance.

Is there a tech article somewhere for tuning SWR's on these RSV's?

Whitlow,

Yours is mounted as are all of them I've seen (mine included). But it really doesn't matter which side is on as long as it's in tune.

This statement is wrong as it applies to the RSV.

Technically, it wouldn't matter which side the antenna is on, EXCEPT if the CB antenna is not connected to the CB. And this is the issue with the RSV - I believe the CB antenna cable is only long enough to connect to the left side. In fact, I'm pretty sure the bike comes from the factory with the CB antenna cable attached to the base on the LEFT side, and the dealers just attaches the antenna to the base already in place. So if it is mounted on the wrong side, it IS a problem.

The simple way to check this has already been stated above, but I'll repeat it here - just look under the trunk and check to which antenna the cable from the black box is connected. It must be to the CB antenna, no matter where that antenna is located.

Goose

It might not be of interest to most but, as I stated earlier in another thread, I have never used a CB and don't intend to. As a matter of fact, I rarely am interested to listening to the radio/tape. I LOVE to ride, in the wind, listen to the pipes and be free from the daily noise. As I stood back from my RSV last week, it dawned on me that I needed to refine the look of my bike more. I have already lowered my windshield 3 1/2 inches, dropped my driving lights, installed FLT mufflers, removed those hideous whiskers from my fairing and put them on the tops of my bags. I've removed my lower wind guards and painted the clears on the lower fairing and replaced the clear turn signal lenses with ambers then I stood back and chuckled at the two antennas and was immediately amused at a vision of a salmon boat outrigger configuration, not my idea of a cool ride! Well, since I have an aversion to CB's,,,off came that antenna. My creative kicked in and being a former Air Force electronics tech I decided to change the radio antenna to something less obtrusive. I re-routed the antenna cable thru the drain plug in the trunk, modified the connector to attach to a 12ga copper wire of equal length and wrapped it around the inside of my trunk. I spotted it in with hot glue, replaced the foam bottom. Radio if I choose sans outriggers and NO CB! I then found 1/4in wide peel and stick chrome at my local auto parts store and began to "trim" my bike. For about $18 bucks, I got enough to trim the lids on my bags, go all around my fairing and leg guards plus two strips down along the black strip on the tank and a little extra for here and there....As for the antennas,,,,,,:scorched:

Renne

This statement is wrong as it applies to the RSV.

Technically, it wouldn't matter which side the antenna is on, EXCEPT if the CB antenna is not connected to the CB. And this is the issue with the RSV - I believe the CB antenna cable is only long enough to connect to the left side. In fact, I'm pretty sure the bike comes from the factory with the CB antenna cable attached to the base on the LEFT side, and the dealers just attaches the antenna to the base already in place. So if it is mounted on the wrong side, it IS a problem.

The simple way to check this has already been stated above, but I'll repeat it here - just look under the trunk and check to which antenna the cable from the black box is connected. It must be to the CB antenna, no matter where that antenna is located.

Goose

Actually, if the radio has been disconnected from the antenna and he tried to transmit, he probably blew the finals in the amplifier section of his CB. If he is getting a signal out, although a poor one, the comment about tuning the antenna for SWR is correct. The meters are inexpensive at a Radio Shack or one of those truck stops that sells CB stuff and they come with instructions on how to use them.. A properly tuned antenna is absolutely essential with these low watt units, especially with the antenna mounted to one side of the bike as they all are. If he has a high SWR, he might only be getting out a watt or so and a quarter of an inch or so out of tune will make a huge difference.