IGNORED

Royal Star Venture Differential in my VMax

Beau-Kat

Just installed a new (only 67 miles on it) 2008 RSV differential in my 1998 VMax.

I know it's popular to swap these ring and pinions back and forth between the two bikes. VMax owners want to lower rpms at freeway speeds and the Venture guys want more pull and to keep the revs up a bit.

I didn't send mine off to RMS Sportmax for the gears to be swapped. The shock boss is already on the Venture differential, so it's easy to see where to drill the stepped and tapped hole (if you already have a VMax diff for a pattern.

I just removed the shock mounting stud from my VMax diff., used the mic to measure all of the stud's shaft dimensions, thread size and depth, and machined me a hole and tapped the threads in the Venture housing. I installed the shock bolt and made a cover for the Venture's speedometer sensor hole.

Took the bike out for a spin today and enjoyed the reduction in rpms at highway speed. Even though these engines don't really vibrate around 70-75mph, riding the VMax in that range now seems to be kinda relaxing. I think the rpms dropped about 500 or so, but am not sure. I can't really remember, but I think it used to turn 4000 at 65 mph and now turns about 4000 rpms at 75 mph.

I may just drill a speedo sensor hole in the VMax diff and install that on my RSV just to see how the bike likes the lower gearing.

That kinda stuff is what happens when my wife is remodeling the kitchen and I'm staying out of her way. I just pay the bills and head to the garage to "tinker a bit".

Oh well, these are the kind of posts you get from me when I'm bored on nightshift.

Rusty

If I read Rusty Metts's post correctly, all of us who own RSVs need to go out an buy a 1st gen Vmax......... just so we can tinker......

I would probably take the heads, carbs and as much of the exhaust off of the Vmax and put it on my RSV....

YUP!

I would recommend that everyone own a VMax! It's a party to ride, but never has handled well above about 115. Pretty scary above that.

Get familiar with the workings of the VMax and you can pretty much relate most things to the workings of either 1st or 2nd generation Ventures.

I don't buy any cars or bikes new 'cause I despise paying the city and county taxes. I know taxes are necessary, and I pay mine faithfully. But I don't want to pay new stuff property taxes. What does it matter to the municipal governments if I ride something new or old? I generally buy them a few years (or decades) old...I guess so I can tinker.

I only have two addictions; and those seem to be coffee and tinkering. Although, sometimes, they are more like curses when you put them together. Coffee keeps me running from the coffee pot to the other pot. And tinkering keeps me from working to get the money to buy more coffee. It's a vicious brew:witch_brew:.

Rusty

Rear end swap write up on Venturers forum:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=001006&id=52

Looks like the swap should have saved me about 10% in rpms for my VMax.

Now, I guess I gotta try the VMax rear end in the RSV. I only have 21k miles on the VMax, so that gear is in great condition.

Time to tinker...:banana:

Mount some 17 Inch Rims on your Vmax and you'll go well up above 160 ... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

160? Would that be my speed or my blood pressure? :think:

Why do you ask, you should know the Answer already by yourself !!!!

Both, of Course !!!

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

I would think the VMax would go faster than that. Seems I remember the advertised top end was higher.

I know the VMax replaced my XS Eleven Special, and I got clocked at 171 on it once...fastest I have ever been...and I had throttle left, but was too scared. It was all stock, except for bigger jets, and a header.

And no, I'm not stretching the truth.

YUP!

I would recommend that everyone own a VMax! It's a party to ride

Here, Here...

I love having both. Although it does make for a tough time trying to choose which one to take to work...although, when it is warmer, the Max usually wins...hehehe :happy34:

I, too, have thought about flipping the pumpkins, but in the end, I would much rather just swap out the 5th gear and leave the lower gearing where they are at on the Max...Just haven't set aside the money and time for it....yet.

I actually wish that I lived farther from work so I would ride a motorcycle daily.

I only live two miles from work and usually just drive my '87 Ranger truck.

Living in SC, we can and do ride year 'round. A decent length ride to work and home each day would be nice.

I usually ride my VMax when I go to the mountains for fun. For about five years, I travelled all over the USA on business (hence the RSV). I have ridden the VMax on trips to Cleveland OH, Memphis, and Ft. Lauderdale. I actually enjoy riding it on trips. Wish I had a real cruise control on it, instead of the throttle lock. If I keep the speedo needle straight up (on 75mph indicated), I usually get 38-40 mpg (as I said, indicated. I know our speedos and thus odos are generous). A five gallon tank would be nice.

I did change out the stock seat to a Corbin. Best thing I ever did for my crotch:clap2:.

Rusty

Edited by Beau-Kat

Here, Here...

I love having both. Although it does make for a tough time trying to choose which one to take to work...although, when it is warmer, the Max usually wins...hehehe :happy34:

I, too, have thought about flipping the pumpkins, but in the end, I would much rather just swap out the 5th gear and leave the lower gearing where they are at on the Max...Just haven't set aside the money and time for it....yet.

Well, you can feel my Problem and Pain ...

The '09 is hoot to ride, but compared to my (seriously altered) '99 Max it's a heavy Piece of Metal and a Lot less flickable than the '99. The '93 VR will get a complete Vmax Engine this Winter, this will make the Decision even harder. But I'm looking forward to it anyway. :whistling::whistling::hurts:

I love all four of my Rides, but the CX500turbo looses most of the Time.