IGNORED

Tire change question

I'm going to try to change the front tire myself on my 86VR....40 years ago I used to work part time at Sears changing tires so I'm no stranger to the process..

Has anyone used a "C" clamp to break the bead and large screwdrivers to remove the tire from the rim?..It seems easy at face value but I'd like to hear from people that have actually done it...

BTW: I figured diluted liquid soap and a paint brush ought to work when replacing the tire to get the bead slippery enough to fit the tire, with a little persuasion, over the rim...

I can appreciate you wanting to do your own work and save some cash, but I would ATLEAST take it into your local tire store and have them break the bead on it. You dont need to be marring the finish of the rim or hurting yourself to save $5 on trying to break a bead down without the right tools

:2cents:

C clamp should work just fine,Ive also put wheel in doorway & used a jackall and a 4x4 to the header to break beads. I prefer a flat bar with rounded edges rather then a screwdriver. If tire is hard to seat I use a ratcheted tie down strap around the treaded tire to help the bead to pop back on rim. :canada::canada::canada:

I recently changed my front with a new Elite3. I found that cutting around the sidewall on each side about an inch from the rim with a sawsall was easy to do and it made breaking the bead and removing the remaining tire quite easy with the help of a clamp. Also, I used windex instead of soap based on a friend's recommendation and found it to work very well.