IGNORED

Out on a limb........uh oh!!

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

I am new to this site, and have read and re-read the complaints about the whine the venture makes. Some say it is the cut gears........some say it is the clutch basket, some say it is the rear drive. I myself have rode my new venture for 4 months, putting 5200 miles on it already, and early this morning I took it for a 200 mile jaunt and paid particular attention to the whine. I know now why I never even considered it.

All big bike motors have this so called whine.......all of them........that is why I was wondering exactly what everyone was talking about. My recent Suzuki 1400 Intruder made more noise than my new Venture. That was until I put drag pipes on it , then I could not hear the motor at all....!! Thinking back my Honda shadow did this same thing.......not so distinct......but it was there.

The venture runs so quiet you can hear the motor work. I think this is the whine , exactly what is , I really do not know, I actually think it is the pistons going up and down in the cylinder sleeves as the noise varies at slow to high speed........some say changing the clutch basket moves the noise? Hum??

I am not sure what it is........I do know if the pipes did not run so quiet, most likely no one would even worry or complain about this.

I am most likely going to get beat up for this post.......that is okay.......I have a sense of humor(Hey!) But I really do not think the whine thing is an issue. I have confidence in my machine, I really do, and do not even worry about the whine, I think it is just part of the bike, and if it had louder pipes.......no one would even notice it.

I personally like to hear the motor work.....is part of the fun of riding. To poke along on secondary roads and enjoy the sound of the bike....enjoy life, enjoy just being alive...no I like my bike just fine.......whine and all!! Kit

Guest longtrain59

Kit I agree,

If I wated a quiet bike I would have bought a Gold Wing to swoosh down the road.

But I bought a Venture and put Krome Werks pipes on it and have been happy ever since, threre's nothing like the sound of that V-4 flying down the hiway.

Personally, I traded from a Nomad with Cobra pipes and souped-up air system about 3 mo ago and I am thoroughly enjoying the lower noise level!! My head doesn't buzz for half an hour after a long ride. In fact, what were long rides on the Nomad are just short jaunts on the RSV.

I'm not complaining at all about a whine or chirp . I live across the street from a TLZ (Tactical Landing Zone) . 53's , Ospreys , etc..... landing all hours of the day and night . At least the RSV doesn't have that Ghetto Boom Box stereo trash crap on it !

I just got rid of a Rokon with a 10hp. PowerBee 2 cycle engine in it , now thats noisy !

I agree with there Kit .The ride is what you make of it . Most annoying noise I hear is the 1st Gen'rs saying how faster they are .:rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

Gene

I rode my brother in law's valykrie before I bought my venture. It is quieter with its stock pipes than my venture. It has a whine as you accelerate as do all bikes with a drive shaft. If you rode my bike you would change your tune. It isn't just the normal whine of a drive shaft it screams when you get to 65 to 70 mph. You can't hear the engine running because of the screaming whine. I have been riding bikes since I was 15 years old and am now 56. I know the difference between a normal whine and a scream. You need to experience the screaming whine before you start giving me your unsubstaniated theory.

But I really do not think the whine thing is an issue. I have confidence in my machine, I really do, and do not even worry about the whine, I think it is just part of the bike, and if it had louder pipes.......no one would even notice it.

Kit

Hey Kit - welcome to the site - some great folks here - very helpful.

The whine thing IS a big issue on some bikes - mine included. Enjoy your quiet bike - some of us are not as fortunate.

Cheers

Eugene

Guest KitCarson

Hey Ediddy, lucky I cannot figure out how to make the smilie thing work......so I will just say this, if your bike screams when you go 65 to 70 , then only go 60. Lol. Big smile!!

Hey Ediddy, lucky I cannot figure out how to make the smilie thing work......so I will just say this, if your bike screams when you go 65 to 70 , then only go 60. Lol. Big smile!!

1st off, I didn't think the 2nd genners could go that fast. Now I know the whine is caused from the bike itself. It's crying cause it can't go as fast as our 1st gens!!!:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Dan

(Man, am I gonna pay for it when I get to meet some of you guys!!)

(Most definately worth it though!)

If you are happy, then you are riding the right bike. I don't know how loud some of the bikes are. I have barron pipes on mine and don't hear much whine. I can't really say how loud others are, mine may be one of the quiter ones. Either way, I love this bike.

I'm one of the lucky ones too, I guess. Mine whines/chirps or whatever you want to call it, but not to the extent some have mentioned. I know some of us here have people turn their heads on the street because its so loud. I have my modified HD pipes and the music, with me singing along as I go (believe me it keeps the deer away:cool10:) so I don't let it bother me. However it it was as bad as some mention I would probably change my tune.

I used to have the same opinion as you until I talked to some other folks. So........I guess we are just cursed to have to enjoy our bikes the way they are.:dancefool::rasberry::thumbsup:

I am new to this site, and have read and re-read the complaints about the whine the venture makes. Some say it is the cut gears........some say it is the clutch basket, some say it is the rear drive. I myself have rode my new venture for 4 months, putting 5200 miles on it already, and early this morning I took it for a 200 mile jaunt and paid particular attention to the whine. I know now why I never even considered it.

All big bike motors have this so called whine.......all of them........that is why I was wondering exactly what everyone was talking about. My recent Suzuki 1400 Intruder made more noise than my new Venture. That was until I put drag pipes on it , then I could not hear the motor at all....!! Thinking back my Honda shadow did this same thing.......not so distinct......but it was there.

The venture runs so quiet you can hear the motor work. I think this is the whine , exactly what is , I really do not know, I actually think it is the pistons going up and down in the cylinder sleeves as the noise varies at slow to high speed........some say changing the clutch basket moves the noise? Hum??

I am not sure what it is........I do know if the pipes did not run so quiet, most likely no one would even worry or complain about this.

I am most likely going to get beat up for this post.......that is okay.......I have a sense of humor(Hey!) But I really do not think the whine thing is an issue. I have confidence in my machine, I really do, and do not even worry about the whine, I think it is just part of the bike, and if it had louder pipes.......no one would even notice it.

I personally like to hear the motor work.....is part of the fun of riding. To poke along on secondary roads and enjoy the sound of the bike....enjoy life, enjoy just being alive...no I like my bike just fine.......whine and all!! Kit

Guest KitCarson

Hi Danob 11: I will only make you pay a small toll...........I would rather talk to someone who is going to pull my chain than be a sad sack. My slow second generation bike also as Ediddy has stated his does also has quite a so called whine at interstate speeds......I really just thought it was a characteristic of the bike as my Intruder was a loud one too.........and I do not run the interstate unless I have to, I also have rode a bike since I was 17, almost on a daily basis, lately I only ride on free time and love the Venture. I honestly do think it is the best comfort bike I have ever had.....no it is no raked out custom with drag pipes, but to just go for a ride and enjoy the ride for its own sake.....I can do a 100 mile morning ride,,,,,,,then go to work, and my back does not have to be put in traction from some hardtail bike. In 5200 miles the only two problems I have had with it is the tank trim on the rear of the tank where your legs touch the tank at the front of the seat......has fallen down, a little black RTV will cure that, and on the left of the tank front trim, under the plastic gas cap surround or whatever it is, the glued rubber trim is starting to come loose.......minor things only, no blown head gaskets, no holes in the top of the pistons.......gee I need to take time this evening and learn to use this site, the smilies and so on.........made a Harley Rider upset yesterday Lol!! One of my customers asked me how I like my new Venture, introduced me to this fellow with a Harley.......he said he had just spent a week in North Carolina riding the mountains......has put over a 1000 miles on his bike in a week, my first comment was I did not know Harleys could go that far without a new head gasket!! I love to pick on Harley riders.. Bye all........I need to go.......will get tempted to act up. Kit

1st off, I didn't think the 2nd genners could go that fast. Now I know the whine is caused from the bike itself. It's crying cause it can't go as fast as our 1st gens!!!:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Dan

(Man, am I gonna pay for it when I get to meet some of you guys!!)

(Most definately worth it though!)

What's really a shame is listening to the louder whines of a 1st Gen owners over the whine of a 2nd Gen engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot:

The only whine I hear from 1st genners is the sound of the engine as it winds up over the 100 mph mark in 3rd gear, wanting to go higher and faster. You 2nd genners should try it sometime, it's wonderfull!

(Oh sorry, you would have to borrow someones 1st gen to do it!)

:cool10::cool10::cool10:

Dan

The only whine I hear from 1st genners is the sound of the engine as it winds up over the 100 mph mark in 3rd gear, wanting to go higher and faster. You 2nd genners should try it sometime, it's wonderfull!

(Oh sorry, you would have to borrow someones 1st gen to do it!)

:cool10::cool10::cool10:

Dan

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Hmmmmm- I see a run-off coming up. They have open nights at the worlds best-known drag track-- Indianapolis Raceway Park ( OOPS-O'Reilly raceway park to be correct); for 25 bucks, its run what you brung. I'd be willing to meet a 2nd genner out there sometime and put it to the test.......

Dan