Hi guys.

Well, the old girl developed a clicking sound coming from the rear wheel. I only put around 6000 miles on it since reassembly. I put it on the center stand and turned the wheel and it clicks once per revolution, always at the same place. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before I tear into it this weekend? 87VR

Don

Pappyam; The splined drive assembly on the wheel has pins that fit into cushion rubbers in the wheel. When the pins get dry, they will make a clicking noise. Drop the wheel, remove the circlip and work the drive assembly out of the wheel. You will probably see red stuff (rust) all over the pins. Lube with moly grease and touch up the splines, reassemble, and the clicking should be gone. It's a good idea to do this when you change tires. Let us know. . . Ride safe, Steve

• 2 months later...
Pappyam; The splined drive assembly on the wheel has pins that fit into cushion rubbers in the wheel. When the pins get dry, they will make a clicking noise. Drop the wheel, remove the circlip and work the drive assembly out of the wheel. You will probably see red stuff (rust) all over the pins. Lube with moly grease and touch up the splines, reassemble, and the clicking should be gone. It's a good idea to do this when you change tires. Let us know. . . Ride safe, Steve

THIS GENTELMAN IS CORECT!!!!!!!!!

I had (have) a similar problem on my '87. Tore the whole thing down, replaced all the bearings & seals. Greased the crap outta everything. New brake pads,new tire.

Still clicks. Bothers the people behind me more than it bothers me.

After New Years I plan on pulling it all back apart again and trying again. If you figure it out before I do, point me in the right direction.

I had (have) a similar problem on my '87. Tore the whole thing down, replaced all the bearings & seals. Greased the crap outta everything. New brake pads,new tire.

Still clicks. Bothers the people behind me more than it bothers me.

After New Years I plan on pulling it all back apart again and trying again. If you figure it out before I do, point me in the right direction.

Hey Ed,

Next time Bigin goes riding with you tell him to wear ear plugs.

:whistling::crackup:

buddy

After cleaning, and greesing, as you reassemble every thing, loosen the 4 nuts that hold the pumpkin in place. Then as you reassemble the Axel, add torque to the 4 small bolts, and the Axel Nut in 4 steps.

Between each torque application to the nuts, Tap Tap everything with a plastic mallet, to relieve Stress. Also, hand rotate the axel before adding torque to nut, see if you can find a postion of least resistance. Try to keep the Axel in that position as you torque it to 90 ft. lbs. When you have about 1/2 the torque applied, run the engine, let it spin the wheel, as you tap with the mallet.

Just doing this proceedure stopped mine from clicking. this was around 18K on the bike.

Be sure to pull out the drive shaft , and greese the front Spline, if you have never done that job.

It has to be done by hand, no other way to lube that spline.

Don,

Check the oil in the final drive unit for metal. Last year I had a clicking noise at the left rear and found metal in the final drive oil. When I dissassembled the unit the pinion gear had several broken teeth.

Follow this link to my post last spring. Post #15 has pictures of the damaged pinion gear.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8510&highlight=noisy+drive

Rick

Same thing happened to mine at 800 miles. I dropped the rear wheel and greased every thing at 600 miles. Glade I did because Yamaha didn't use very much grease on the spindels or drive shaft. Well back to the point. It started making a clicking sound at about 800 miles I didn't hear it but the people behind me did and pulled me over. I heard it while backing the bike up. I knew what it was I had the same problem with my 03 at about 60K miles. It's the drive shaft, it's mis-aligned. Try this: loosing the axil nut and the 4 nuts on the final drive put the bike on a lift and hand rotate the rear wheel while hitting the final drive with a rubber hammer, if you still hear the clicking the final dive nuts are not loose, if you can turn them with your fingers they are loose. Once the clicking stops tighten the axle nut down and then the 4 nuts on the final drive. If you haven't greased every thing on the back recently (like other here have said) you might as well drop the wheel and do that also. Drop the bike back on the ground and torque the axle nut down before you torgue the final drive.

I talked to a mech after this happened to me and he said it happens a lot when your putting everything back together you mis-align the drive shaft a bit but you don't hear it right away you have to put a few miles on it and it will show up. It won't hurt the bike to ride it this way so you can get it home, but you want to fix it as soon as you can.

Hey Ed,

Next time Bigin goes riding with you tell him to wear ear plugs.

:whistling::crackup:

buddy

Hey Buddy, I heard that. He He.

Funny thing now, mine is starting to make the same noise but only when its suspended on the jack! Brought this upon myself I guess!

My 07 RSV developed that clicking sound at around 4000km. I took it to the dealer and he said it was those pins in the wheel. I asked him if he was sure because I thought it was the drive shaft. He assured me it was the pins and not to worry about it as they will deal with it when I get my first tire change. He also made the comment that Yamaha does not put nearly enough grease in there.

I did not tear into it yet but, the noise seems to come from the left side. As I slowly rotate the wheel, it clicks at one definite spot and if I backup the wheel it does the same thing. I will check the rotor anyway. Thanks

Don

You had the tire off didn't you?

There is a Rubber seal, covering the (HUB) that needs to be grease, EVERY time the wheel comes off the bike. Only the left side, wheel spines 3/4 round then, click, click, click, click, click ... almost like its grinding...

Have your shop check the "HOT SHEETS", they'll know what you mean. all the machainc's can check the computer.

happened to a few of our Guys, after a Rear tire Change

• 1 month later...
Guest tx2sturgis
My 07 RSV developed that clicking sound at around 4000km. I took it to the dealer and he said it was those pins in the wheel. I asked him if he was sure because I thought it was the drive shaft. He assured me it was the pins and not to worry about it as they will deal with it when I get my first tire change. He also made the comment that Yamaha does not put nearly enough grease in there.

Mine has started doing it too...barely noticable, but there mainly when its cold.

Question is, are you guys that have had this done by the dealer, getting it done under warranty?

I called and setup and appt to have mine looked at...should I ask for this under warranty? Or did you guys pay for it?

:mo money:

Thanks.