IGNORED

Which oil filter?

Jerry W

I have read the threads on synthetic oils and will be switching to full synthetic on my next oil change. I feel that the yamaha filters are overpriced, but am not sure which filter to use. I know this had been discussed but am unable to come up with the thread. So......which filter do you feel is best. Thanks in advance.

Yamaha's filters are not only overpriced, the filter element is garbage, a very close second to Fram. I'd use a Honda filter before I used a Yamaha filter. In fact, when I bought my bike it had a Honda filter on it. While their construction is decent, they're also overpriced. Here is a list of about 65 filters that will fit the bike. This the most complete list I've ever seen. Our bikes fall into group 5 down at the bottom. A real favorite around here is the Supertech ST7317 from Mallwart. It runs only a couple bucks and is a well constructed filter.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=523

I have read the threads on synthetic oils and will be switching to full synthetic on my next oil change. I feel that the Yamaha filters are overpriced, but am not sure which filter to use. I know this had been discussed but am unable to come up with the thread. So......which filter do you feel is best. Thanks in advance.

Jerry,

Here's another web site where they have cut open several filters. It's a site that's been around a while, but still has some good information.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

As for the Wal-Mart filter 7317. I had heard that someone besides Champion was making their filters. So I went to a Wal-Mart and had them pull it up on their computer as to who was there supplier and it still shows Champion. I did see this on their computer screen myself. I have been using this filter since I heard of it on this site with no problems. Thats been over 2 years now. I believe I paid around $2.67 for the last one. Where as the same one in Fram was around $5 or $6 if I remember correctly.

Charles

according to Obber's website, I'm using the best oil filter on the market.

Purolater Pure One PL14610. Get em at Advanced Auto for 6 bux.

"This is how an oil filter should be made. The anti-drainback valve is double the thickness of any other here, and obviously seals very well. The media is the best available, and there's a lot of it. The bypass valve is made from a laser-cut piece of stainless steel, and just can't bind or jam."

I believe that all the Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha filters are made by Denso and are all the same. I'll just keep using the Pure One filters.