IGNORED

Another GPS Question 785T

Wizard765

Ok here goes... The Garmin site says that the 785T is compatible with an external mic.

Does anyone here have one they can look at for me?

How about the Ram Mount bracket?

What I want to know is Where is the mic input? Unit or Cradle?

If it is in the cradle does the Ram Mount cradle have it as well?

I really want to be able to use my phone if necessary and cannot justify $700 for the Zumo 550.

The 785T has all the features I want for $300 and I can bag it if it looks like rain.

Any input here is welcome.... and appreciated..

Wayne

OR does anyone want to sell me a Zumo 550 for $400 or less??:innocent-emoticon:

I have the 780 - no mic input but I can tell you the ram mount is available and works great.

Lynn

I also have a 780.....and there IS a mic input. It is on the cradle, not on the device itself. That is the same configuration that the Zumo uses....on the cradle, not on the GPS.

Joe

I also have a 780.....and there IS a mic input. It is on the cradle, not on the device itself. That is the same configuration that the Zumo uses....on the cradle, not on the GPS.

Joe

Thank you Joe:

Ok if the mic input is on the cradle... how do you have it mounted on the bike? Did you use Ram mount? Does the Ram mount cradle also have the mic input or does the Ram mount us the Garmin Cradle?

Wayne

Thank you Joe:

Ok if the mic input is on the cradle... how do you have it mounted on the bike? Did you use Ram mount? Does the Ram mount cradle also have the mic input or does the Ram mount us the Garmin Cradle?

Wayne

Mine isn't mounted yet.....just got it yesterday. Weighing my options.

I have a plate that is bolted to the top of the clutch fluid reservoir. My RAM mount for my old Lowrance was bolted on that, and the GPS just rested on top of the Audio controller. Worked really well.

I am considering just drilling the suction mount and then bolting that to the plate. Probably what I'll end up doing, but I need to actually hold it in place and see if that's going to work out.

Joe

Hey Wizard,

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 855 for my birthday and I made this mount for it for my First Gen. VR. It's Clean, works really well, and is made from Stainless Steel so it will look the same 10 years from now as it does today. I have more. Pics Below. I just wanted to mention that this Ebay seller has the Garmin 785T for $259.00 with free shipping! I have no connection with this guy, just a good price. I have had 2 refurbed GPS's with out a single problem. Same warranty, this seller is an authorized Garmin distributor.:thumbsup2:

Earl

MOUNT COMPLETED.jpg

NUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg

Ok here goes... The Garmin site says that the 785T is compatible with an external mic.

Does anyone here have one they can look at for me?

How about the Ram Mount bracket?

What I want to know is Where is the mic input? Unit or Cradle?

If it is in the cradle does the Ram Mount cradle have it as well?

I really want to be able to use my phone if necessary and cannot justify $700 for the Zumo 550.

The 785T has all the features I want for $300 and I can bag it if it looks like rain.

Any input here is welcome.... and appreciated..

Wayne

OR does anyone want to sell me a Zumo 550 for $400 or less??:innocent-emoticon:

BTW, Wiz.....the 780 probably has all the features you want as well. I bought mine from TigerDirect for $180....it is Refurbished, looks absolutely like new and has a one year warranty. Save yourself some cash....

Joe

Hey Don,

I have the Garmin Nuvi 855 and although I haven't had it very long it functions very well for me on the bike. The screen does wash out a bit in bright sun but in my truck it's not a problem. On the bike, with the voice commands, I rarely look at the screen anyway. My bike is a bit on the loud side and I use the headphone jack witch solves the noise problem. I love the size, very easy to remove and carry around, It has a feature called "go home" which gives you 1 touch course plotting for your home where ever you are. The battery doesn't last as long as they say, ( 2 hrs. max) but I have a car charger for the truck and I found a hard wire charger for my bike. ( no need for a cig. lighter input)

This unit has more bells and whistles than any other GPS I've had so it's hard to compare but I like the Nuvi 855 very much. I don't use bluetooth and this unit does not have it.

Hope this helps,

Earl

Hey Don,

I have the Garmin Nuvi 855 and although I haven't had it very long it functions very well for me on the bike. The screen does wash out a bit in bright sun but in my truck it's not a problem. On the bike, with the voice commands, I rarely look at the screen anyway. My bike is a bit on the loud side and I use the headphone jack witch solves the noise problem. I love the size, very easy to remove and carry around, It has a feature called "go home" which gives you 1 touch course plotting for your home where ever you are. The battery doesn't last as long as they say, ( 2 hrs. max) but I have a car charger for the truck and I found a hard wire charger for my bike. ( no need for a cig. lighter input)

This unit has more bells and whistles than any other GPS I've had so it's hard to compare but I like the Nuvi 855 very much. I don't use bluetooth and this unit does not have it.

Hope this helps,

Earl

If battery life is an issue, the 780 has what I consider to be superb battery life. I have had it on for 2hours playing MP3's and it doesn't use even 1/2 of the battery according to the meter. They say it has a 5 hour life, I would expect to realistically get 4 hours. And the amazing thing is, the Bluetooth adapter was "on" the whole time it was playing.

Wayne there is a place in Quebec that Garmin uses as a repair depot and I believe they sell reconditioned units with warranties. You may get the Zumo 550 for the same price you thinking of paying.

I can help get the name if you want but Garmin can direct to them as well.

Brad

I've been thinking of picking one up for my wife's car. I already have a Zumo 550 that I use in my car and on the bike.

Walmart has the Nuvi 855 for $217.00. Any feedback on that one?

Thanks

Don:

I think right now the best unit and bang for the buck is the 765T It is virtually identical to the 785T. The only difference is the way it does traffic. 765T uses FM traffic free for life. 785T uses MSN Traffic free for 3 months then a subscription. The 765T is about $50 cheaper. It has EVERY other feature the same. Both have BlueTooth and a Mic input in the cradle. Both have Lane Assist, MP3 Player, SD Card Reader, Photo Slide Show, Route Capabilities (10 Routes) etc...

Wayne

Hey Wizard,

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 855 for my birthday and I made this mount for it for my First Gen. VR. It's Clean, works really well, and is made from Stainless Steel so it will look the same 10 years from now as it does today. I have more. Pics Below. I just wanted to mention that this Ebay seller has the Garmin 785T for $259.00 with free shipping! I have no connection with this guy, just a good price. I have had 2 refurbed GPS's with out a single problem. Same warranty, this seller is an authorized Garmin distributor.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Earl:

I noticed that you mounted this on the right side. IF you were to mount it on the left side then you could use a metric right hand thread bolt and wouldn't have to drill and tap the existing hole. The right side one is a left hand thread but the left hand side is a right hand thread.

Anyhow I really like your mount. What would you charge me for just the ball with thread sticking out of it? I could make the rest.

Wayne