IGNORED

What does the ignition "chrome" screws screw into?

I have a 2006 RSTD. The front right screw that holds on the tank cover "chrome" is not coming out. It turns, but is not coming out. I can feel behind it, and something rubbery feeling is turning with the screw. What is this? Any idea on how to get the screw out?

It was at the dealer, who performed the 26.6K valve clearance service, and they took off the tank. I was going to call Tuesday (closed tomorrow), because they left off the black plastic screw caps from the gas tank bolts. Now I see that they lost three of the little plastic washers from the ignition cover. And this screw looks to be overtightened or something.

What is it with dealer service? *sigh*

Dave

What is it with dealer service? *sigh*

Dave

I've installed those little chrome "caps" in most all of my allen screws. When I took my scoot to the dealer for the clutch basket change, I made sure they knew about them and that they were to not lose them and put them back. ... they did!

Gotta be on top of those guys all the time!

I tried lifting up on the screw, but it just bent the tab that holds the rubber gasket. I can touch the rubber gasket and stop it from turning, but the screw doesn't seem to come out.

I'm attaching a photo or two to show where I am talking about in case it is confusing.

Dave

(make sure other 3 screws are out first) try prying something under the screw while you try to unscrew it - you might also have someone lifting up on that corner of the chrome cover while doing this. when i recently had my tank off my 07 RSTD i realized that this screw mechanism for that cover is a weak setup. i'd be willing to bet they were overtightened buy the shop . good luck.

(make sure other 3 screws are out first) try prying something under the screw while you try to unscrew it - you might also have someone lifting up on that corner of the chrome cover while doing this. when i recently had my tank off my 07 RSTD i realized that this screw mechanism for that cover is a weak setup. i'd be willing to bet they were overtightened buy the shop . good luck.

This turned out to be just what they did. The service manager lifted on the front of the cover while the mechanic unscrewed it. The manager pulled up harder than I did... thus the success. Having four hands seemed to help, too.

The manager also thought they might have overtightened it when it was in for service. His advice to me: "don't tighten it" when I get it home.

I will be taking it off when I get home. I originally wanted it off to give a good coat of wax. But when it was in, the service manager pulled off the rubber tank mount boot. So now the tank goes off so I can reattach it properly. *sigh*

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked!

Dave