IGNORED

windshield height and the "whine"

Hi to all

I hesitated to post this but thought it might be of interest to some RSTD owners.

I have posted about the whine and the help I got from using Motorkote in the engine and the post on this topic has many interesting comments. Now to my latest adventure.....

Several weeks ago I was riding to work early am and the windshield completly fogged and misted over. I could not see anything in front of the bike. Yikes!

I started doing some internet and forum searches and found that having a windshield as tall as the RSTD is can be dangerous in these conditions.

I KNOW THIS IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE AND I AM JUST POSTING MY OPINION!

Everyone has to make their own minds up. How and when you ride will effect your preferences.

I purchased a windshield off ebay for $24.50 that was supposedly damaged and was pleasantly surprised that it only had very minor scratches on it.

This gave me a cheap backup to have in case I did not like the modification to the height of the existing stock shield.

I determined for me that cutting off 4" gave me what I was looking for. It turns out that height was perfect and I am happy with the modification I did. (there are posts on how to do this and was very easy to do)

When I took it for a long ride I immediately noticed that I had to really concentrate to hear the whine. It appears that the changes in the aerodynamics of the shield also acted as a buffer against the noise.

Don't get me wrong the whine is still there but is now more of a normal engine mechanical sound that just seems to get swallowed up in the other ambient noises of air, engine and the pipes.

I am amazed that there could be this much change from just lowering the shield.

I can now see over the shield and don't experience much difference in the ride on the highway as far as buffeting is concerned. It is not the coccoon that it was but I feel as if I am still getting the benefits of the shield.

This combined with the Motorkote has changed the annoyance of this terrific machine into something that I know is there but will be able to accept and deal with.

Again, I am not trying to force my opinions on any of you and there is no garantee that any will experience the changes I got from this modification.

I do believe that seeing over the shield offers a level of safety in certain conditions (which my New England climate gives me in both the early fall and spring each year) that can not be achieved with the stock height windshield.

The bonus of the noise changing was completely unexpected!

Just some ideas to throw in the cat box, it will either just lie there, get covered up or watch out the litter will fly!

Have a great fall and be safe

Dan