IGNORED

zumo450\550 hook-up

az1103

Without the Buddy cable, you will need a male to male 3 mm cable (available at Walmart and other fine retailers). There is a covered port on the left side of the mount that houses the female receptical for the Zumo. You then plug the other end into the Aux jack next to the 'modern as tomorrow' cassette on the Venture.

Switch the source to Aux on the Venture, and never get lost again! You will need to turn the volume on the Zumo all the way up so you can use the Venture controls for volume adjustment.

Adding MP3 files to the Zumo will require a SD memory card. There is some room on the base unit, but not much (about 2 or 3 CDs worth of room). A 2GB SD card is about $30 at Walmart. There are larger ones available.

Enjoy the Zumo.

RR

Cougar, Your cable went out yesterday.

Just FYI everybody. My cable only adds the mic on the bike to the mic in on the Zumo's mount. You will still need the audio out cable to go to the aux on the bike as Redrider described. So there really is no point in adding my cable unless your going to use the bluetooth function to talk on your bluetooth cell phone.

I am looking into getting a GPS sometime here in the near future. I just want to clear up somethings so I am understanding everything correctly. If you hook up the GPS to the Aux so you can hear the directions then you are not listening to the radio anymore, right? So actaully if you want your cake and eat it too, you really need to get a GPS that has either MP3 and/or XM so you can hear the directions and the music?

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. The only other way would be to use the 12V plug that has the built in speaker then you probably wouldn't hear it over all the other nosies riding down the road.

BuddyRich has it right, You need to hook the audio out from the Zumo or other brand GPS to the AUX in on the bike, you won't be able to hear it using the built in speaker. Buddy's cable is great if you want to make and receive calls on your cell. The Zumo has it all XM radio (an add on) GPS which is waterproof and you can see it in the sun and an MP3 player. The best of all worlds in one unit which is made for bikes. It's not hard to split the fairing and add a Y connector to the AUX cable, run the cable along with another cable for power out to the mounting location of the GPS, add Buddy's cable at the same time and your riding in style. The Antenna/Receiver for adding the XM radio is rather expensive but someone on this site is working with a supplier on an antenna which costs around $50.00. I don't think he has all the bugs worked out yet, see this link http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5333

I'll edit them.

I did get a check and its still in my glovebox. Must be yours.

I have enough for one more cable so I'll get yours out this coming week. Was a busy week last week and I completely forgot about the check. Guess I best go check in the truck to be sure its still there.

Ok, but if you are plugging the Zumo output into a "Y" connector on the RSV aux doesn't that screw up audio if you also have another source coming into the aux (such a a sirius radio)?

What happens when you are listening to the sat radio and the Zumo decides to pipe in with a voice prompt? Don't you need something like the Kennedy rig to either autoswitch or blend the signals?

Buddy's cable is for the mic connector which is strictly an input to the Zumo. What I am talking about is the audio out from the Zumo which everyone has been saying to plug into the aux on the RSV, so my original question is still valid...

If you have split the aux_in connection on the RSV with a "Y" connector (which many people have done) and have an mp3, sat radio, minidisc, whatever plugged into one side and playing, and the Zumo audio_out plugged into the other, it seems to me that it is not a good thing to have two different audio signals pumped into the aux at the same time without some sort of mixing/switching device in between. My suspicions are that there may be some ohm/load mismatches (sort of like and audio version of a ground loop) going on there that could damage the amp on the bike.

I cannot speak for Buddy's cables as I have the Kennedy cellset . I can say the CB is isolated from other devises in this case . The zumo is piped in through the AUX at which you are by-passing the plug in the cassette by going into the fairing .Therefore the isolation is still within the original design of the RSV . Now anything that goes through the Zumo , MP3 , XM , bluetooth , etc....is isolated within the Zumo and still behind the RSV's circuitry .

Now with the Kennedy cellset , I have several more ports for use of radar detector and other input devices . I got the cellset before Buddy designed his cables .

Gene

• 1 month later...
Guest tesnevo

Did anyone find out if Buddys cable will allow this to work?

I am wanting to run my Zumo 550 through the aux (I assume it will have to be plugged into the axillary behind the fairing) for the XM radio/cell phone/voice prompts.

I also would like to have use of my Kenwood 2 way for private talk from bike to bike.

Also keep the integrity of the rider/pillion talk.

I am curious if anyone can confirm the cable works for this purpose I would be grateful.

Or am I better off going with the Cellset.

Thanks

Buddy's cable essentially only gives you a microphone input for using the bluetooth phone adapter. The audio output capability is already there in the form of the auxi input on the cassette deck or other input jack that you may have spliced in.

DT