IGNORED

Texas Panhandle maint. day

Jerry W

Would front wheel bearings be too much to do on a maintenance day? I have managed to develop a slight sqeak that I only hear at low speeds and seems to go with wheel rotation (regardless of gear and whether the clutch is in or not) so I presume the front wheel bearings need replaced.

I have an adapter, but I do not have a jack... If I can get my hands on a jack I'll probably get it done before we all meet, but, if not and it is not to much; it would be appreciated...

Looking meeting everyone.

- Rick M.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Yup, I set that one up pretty well...

Since I've met you I feel like I can rattle your cage a bit...course, I also do that to 8000+ folks I havent met....

Hey dude I also have a lift AND a bolt-on frame adapter, and it works well enough on the Venture. This thing is heavy, not something we can easily tote on a bike of course.

As far as your bearings squeaking, if they really ARE squeaking, you need to stop riding the bike. If wheel bearings are so dry or worn, you can hear them, they are close to failure, and a failure at moderate to high speeds could get you hurt.

Im guessing its probably not the wheel bearings, and its more likely brakes or driveline noises. Shine a bright lite down on the pads from above and see if the brake pads look good.

Of course, getting it up on a lift would help in diagnosing it.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Since I've met you I feel like I can rattle your cage a bit...course, I also do that to 8000+ folks I havent met....

Hey dude I also have a lift AND a frame adapter, and it works well enough on the Venture. This thing is heavy, not something we can easily tote on a bike of course.

As far as your bearings squeaking, if they really ARE squeaking, you need to stop riding the bike. If wheel bearings are so dry or worn, you can hear them, they are close to failure, and a failure at moderate to high speeds could get you hurt.

Im guessing its probably not the wheel bearings, and its more likely brakes or driveline noises. But of course getting it up on a lift would help in diagnosing it.

I actually just noticed it today on the way home from my office. I felt the hub and it was not hot or anything, but I do agree that riding is probably not wise until I figure out if it is in-fact, the bearings or not... Which I did not think about until after I had made the post about doing the bearings at the MD...

Jerry: Thanks, I'm thinking I'll get this taken care of before the 17th.

Brian: I can take it as well as dish it out so watch out :rasberry:

hi libeliver

thanks for the invite to your house for mx day, i feel we will go hwy-287 all the way to jerry's w home. but may be another time.

best reguards

don c.:322:

No problem; Ponch messaged me already to let me know - thanks for the follow up though. You'll enjoy 287 much more than you would any road in or out of Lubbock anyway!

See you there :)

Hopefully, the weather will be a little better this time. I will try to get a headcount next week so I will know how much food to buy. A buddy of mine has volunteered to bring his smoker over for the weekend. It is kinda' large, it is mounted on a tandem axle trailer. I helped him smoke 3 whole hogs in it at one time.

Anyway, I will go for a headcount etc. next week so I can pick up eats.

I am not sure if they are going to ride to Amarillo or cut across @ Claude and save a few miles. Either way, glad you are going to make it.

I'm pretty sure we'll cut North at Claude. So, If Bullet brings his jack, we won't need mine, right?

I'm pretty sure we'll cut North at Claude. So, If Bullet brings his jack, we won't need mine, right?

Correct, I will also check and see if I can borrow a jack in Borger so no one has to haul one.

I will get a list of motels with phone numbers etc posted this week. Also, for those traveling, if anyone plans to arrive Friday, I will have a cookout Friday evening. Just need to know if there will be anyone arriving early.

Jerry:

Looks like I've got what I was going to want the lift for taken care of; so unless someone else wants a lift for something it probably is not necessary.

Everyone else:

Thanks so much for being so willing to get a lift there for me (and of course, anyone else that would want to use it).

See everyone up there :thumbsup2:

Here are the web sites of some of the motels in Borger.

http://www.americinn.com/hotels/TX/Borger

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/priceAvail.do?propertyCode=44495&cm_mmc=IYP-_-citysearch-_-property-_-44495

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/bgdtx

If it was me, I would probably stay in the AmericInn. It is a little farther from my house, but it isn't like riding across Houston. The difference is a mile or two. I didn't list restaurants since I will take care of the eats.

Now, if the weather will just cooperate.

Hi Jerry!

I'm truly sad to say that I can't make it this time. I've already got a lot of things book for Saturday and Sunday and I won't be able to break loose to come to Borger. My main thing for Saturday is the Hogs and Dogs run on Saturday. Then there's a gun show in town for the same weekend. These two things along with all the other weekend honey-dos are gonna keep me busy. Maybe next Fall.;)

I hope that next weeks weather will be good for ya`ll, @ 1700 today it is 47 in amirillo and in the 80`s in Lubock...crazy weather... shoot, ya`ll may get some of that white fluffy stuff!!! and no I didn`t say snow!!

Thanks for the good wishes, the weather kinda' shut us down last spring. The weather is supposed to be in the 70's next weekend.

That great, the 70`s will be real nice, hopefully Gunboat and Ponch will make it there with no problems... I wish I could go, but that Life thing keeps getting in the way and after being down with the Flu for the last week, I have alot of catching up to do.

K

Thanks for the good wishes, the weather kinda' shut us down last spring. The weather is supposed to be in the 70's next weekend.

hi jerry

will talk to ponch some time this weekend. looks like we will go north at claude up to borger. hope fullly we can make memphis like joe & i did last time. thats only about 80 miles away, but we will see. anyway we should be there sometime saturday morning the 17th.

don c.

Hokay, the weather is a little wet and cold this weekend, but it is supposed to be sunny and in the 70's next weekend for the maintenance day. I will go for a head count later in the week so I will know how many groceries to pick up.

Since the weather is going to be on our side, we will make this a 2 day event if there is enough interest. Just let me know whether or not it will work for you.

Looking forward to getting together.