IGNORED

Gone Synthetic

what weight should I be using?

Up here they recommend 10W40 mostly because it doesn't always get warm, even in the summer.. however, if I know I'm going to run hard down in the USA where it's been hot hot I'll run 5W20.. but generally speaking, 10W40 works for me..

Never said it turns it to 'mush', but what I read was that some are adamant in their belief that the product is excellent, if you're into racing and do regular engine break downs, which gets the parts cleaned up and so on.. apparently mkote 'coats' the metals as it says it does, but over time it can potentially do more harm than good..

I also prefaced it with "it's what I read, what do *I* know?"

And since it's not available in my area, it's a moot point for me anyway..

I have searched Google and all I can find is "my cousin Ed's best friend Bob's father-in-law works with a guy who said...." kinda stuff on the negative side. I cannot find anything from anyone who has personally used MotorKote and experienced negative side effects from it.

Maybe I just don't know how to search Google. If you can provide some FIRST HAND reports please post them. If not, then my personal opinion is that you are doing us a disservice by posting hearsay evidence.

The actual experiences of users of this product (like many posted on this site) are valuable, not hearsay.

Not trying to start a war here, I just want some documentation if it is out there.

Edited by FreezyRider
can't spell

I have searched Google and all I can find is "my cousin Ed's best friend Bob's father-in-law works with a guy who said...." kinda stuff on the negative side. I cannot find anything from anyone who has personally used MotorKote and experienced negative side effects from it.

Maybe I just don't know how to search Google. If you can provide some FIRST HAND reports please post them. If not, then my personal opinion is that you are doing us a disservice by posted hearsay evidence.

The actual experiences of users of this product (like many posted on this site) are valuable, not hearsay.

Not trying to start a war here, I just want some documentation if it is out there.

Joe, please, show your documentation, other than that of the manufacturer that says this stuff is the cat's meow.. all that I'm just saying is what I came across while doing research on this stuff.. by all means use it if you think its great.. I might try it myself but just relating what I had read about it in a few review articles.

But to put your mind at ease, I'll take a few hours from my schedule tonight and see if I can find those articles again so you can read them also.. and start a war with them.. don't start one with me, I'm just the messenger.. ;)

Joe, please, show your documentation, other than that of the manufacturer that says this stuff is the cat's meow.. all that I'm just saying is what I came across while doing research on this stuff.. by all means use it if you think its great.. I might try it myself but just relating what I had read about it in a few review articles.

But to put your mind at ease, I'll take a few hours from my schedule tonight and see if I can find those articles again so you can read them also.. and start a war with them.. don't start one with me, I'm just the messenger.. ;)

No, I'm not starting a war with anyone. I just want to see all the bad reports FROM THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THEM. Not accusations from people who haven't even tried it.

You want to see my documentation? Read this thread from start to finish: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39828&highlight=motorkote

this is what I was referring to. Actual users who have tried the product. No, not all have experienced a reduction in whine, in shifting noise, increase in fuel consumption, etc. But a significant percentage have. Real people who aren't afraid to sign their name. Posting their own experience, not cousin Fred's.

You may or may not choose to try MotorKote, and that is fine with me. It's a free country (Please, don't anyone make comments about that statement....no political posts are necessary here) so do what you want. But when another member posts that this product has totally eliminated the whine from his bike, take it for what it is. An actual experience.

Here are some testimonials from actual users who have signed their names:

Waste Management began using MOTORKOTE two years ago and is extremely satisfied. We found it greatly reduced differential failures. I've been involved with truck maintenance for 20 years; I'm very impressed with this product.

Anthony D. Wey

Division Vice President of Maintenance

Waste Management

The service technicians at Goodyear Auto Service, Lansing Michigan, have serviced Tom Mossman's van, (1995 ford E-350, 351 5.8 liter, VIN 1FTJS34H9HA88275), do hereby certify the current mileage on this vehicle is, 1,121,454 miles. Service began January 1995 to present. An 8 oz. Bottle of MOTORKOTE has been added every 50,000 miles.

Kevin Wolfrom

Store Manager

Goodyear Auto Service Centers

Lansing, Michigan

Now, if MotorKote was going to cause corrosion or turn your engine into mush, don't you think that 1,121,454 miles would be enough opportunity for it to do so. I kinda doubt that my RSV will ever reach that point, even though it is fairly bullet proof.

The above "Testimonials" are the kind of thing I am looking for on the negative side of the issue. So far I haven't found any. Maybe they are there....and if so I want to know.

Peace.

No, I'm not starting a war with anyone. I just want to see all the bad reports FROM THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THEM. Not accusations from people who haven't even tried it.

Now, if MotorKote was going to cause corrosion or turn your engine into mush, don't you think that 1,121,454 miles would be enough opportunity for it to do so. I kinda doubt that my RSV will ever reach that point, even though it is fairly bullet proof.

The above "Testimonials" are the kind of thing I am looking for on the negative side of the issue. So far I haven't found any. Maybe they are there....and if so I want to know.

Peace.

I hear what you're saying, Joe.. consider that I merely reported what *I* had read.. and by no means claiming it as gospel.. keep that in mind.. you're shooting the messenger here..

what about the pruple oil????

Hang on, lemme put my Kevlar on first before giving you an 'opinion'..

From what I have read and heard from many who have used RP, and I have used it before in my VStar, it's an excellent product.. It's hard to obtain where I live though..

The consistency of it reminds me of chainsaw bar lube oil with actually a purple tinge to it.. so weird looking.. makes you wonder if you got the right stuff or not.

I found it worked great in the VStar, but couldn't find anymore locally so couldn't use it for more than about 3 oil changes.

from what I have read online (sorry, can't provide urls or reviews and such) is that it's an excellent product, especially if you're riding a high revving racing bike that takes a lot of punishment.. some consider RP an overkill for touring / cruising bikes but by all means an excellent oil.. The only 'cons" I found with it was cost and availability in my area.

Opinions are like 'elbows', everyone's got at least one..

I hear what you're saying, Joe.. consider that I merely reported what *I* had read.. and by no means claiming it as gospel.. keep that in mind.. you're shooting the messenger here..

Hey, King of the Sea.....please don't interpret my comments as shooting the messenger. I'm not trying to shoot anyone, just trying to clarify that what I'd like to see is personal experience with a product. You have not riled me up in anyway, and I'm not trying to slam you. Wish we could actually hear one another talk, that way we'd have a better understanding of our intentions.

You have experience with Royal Purple, and you have found that it was a good product in your usage. That is valuable info, since I have read some contrary opinions. One guy (and I think it was a member here) experienced clutch slippage while using RP, so changed and the slippage stopped. However, he admitted that he had a bunch of miles on the clutch and may be in need of a new spring.

Anyway, the personal experiences that we all have are valid to us, and when shared with others we start to compile a book of knowledge that is beneficial to all and helps each of us make up our minds on things like oil, additives, filters, tires, winter vs summer air in the tires, etc.

Peace.

I use Rotella T Synthetic oil (in the blue jug) SAE 5W-40

http://www-static.shell.com/static/rotella-en/images/products/rosn-1gal-5w40-z7.jpg

I use a PureOne oil filter part number PL14610. Some use the PL14612 as it is taller, but I have a challenging time installing it on my bike...... so I use the PL14610.

http://partsmart.boschwebservices.com/RB/NA/AUTO/AFTERMARKET/PARTSMART/PartSmartImages/PL14610.jpg

Oh, I also remove the sticker and spray paint it flat black with hi-temp paint about a week or two before installing.

Anyway, the personal experiences that we all have are valid to us, and when shared with others we start to compile a book of knowledge that is beneficial to all and helps each of us make up our minds on things like oil, additives, filters, tires, winter vs summer air in the tires, etc.

Peace.

No worries, Joe.. the wounds quickly, especially if you buy me a coffee ;) Don't worry about it.. tis all good M8

OK!

Give me 2 oils to choose from please. And an oil filter number that I can get. And why we are going there LOL what type of drive oil.

Your same ol Yamaha filter and Kawasaki synthetic oil.. cheapest combo available here.. and reportedly good combo..

Other here will list what they like and use..

Go to www.amsoil.com and purchase it directly. They ship it to you. Phoenix

Well here's the SAD part.. I tried to do a purchase of 4 bottles of AMSOIL 10W40 and 1 filter online, came to a total of $87 including taxes.. plus shipping, but I won't get to see what the shipping cost will be until AFTER I make the purchase by entering all my credit card info.. I have this funny feeling that the shipping charges on top of all this will now make this inexpensive bottle of oil as expensive as what I paid at the bike shop.. If anything, I might either save a buck or two or end up spending $25 more just on the shipping..

I've sent them an email asking what the shipping charges may be.. Must be a lot easier in the US..

• 1 month later...

Old thread, new question.

When you switch from dino to synthetic, is there anything special you should do? I am changing filters too, but I know the engine doesn't empty completely of oil (since if I put in the specified amount, the bike is overfilled). There will remain some old, dino oil to mingle with the new synthetic.

Should I pour in some synthetic until I see it draining out?

Can dino and synthetic live together in harmony, in the small amounts of dino that remain?

Dave

Old thread, new question.

When you switch from dino to synthetic, is there anything special you should do? I am changing filters too, but I know the engine doesn't empty completely of oil (since if I put in the specified amount, the bike is overfilled). There will remain some old, dino oil to mingle with the new synthetic.

Should I pour in some synthetic until I see it draining out?

Can dino and synthetic live together in harmony, in the small amounts of dino that remain?

Dave

Dave,Its OK..Synthetic will mix. High mileage vehicles will sometimes start leaking oil after the change so if it does simply chnge back to Dino oil and it will stop. Ive changed it in a few bikes that had50000 miles on them to Synthetic and never a problem BUT there is always someone that has had the problem. I use Amsoil 20/50 wt mainly because of our extreme heat in South Texas but Mobil! is just as good if not better..I have NEVER had a clutch issue with using Synthetic but some claim they have. You know how to resolve a clutch issue with the PCW racing spring. Tom

Dave,Its OK..Synthetic will mix. High mileage vehicles will sometimes start leaking oil after the change so if it does simply chnge back to Dino oil and it will stop. Ive changed it in a few bikes that had50000 miles on them to Synthetic and never a problem BUT there is always someone that has had the problem. I use Amsoil 20/50 wt mainly because of our extreme heat in South Texas but Mobil! is just as good if not better..I have NEVER had a clutch issue with using Synthetic but some claim they have. You know how to resolve a clutch issue with the PCW racing spring. Tom

Thanks Tom. I have 32K on my bike, so I hope it doesn't start leaking.

Dave