IGNORED

Couple questions.

Well, I am getting back to the Venture, and finding more and more problems as I go along.

Are the fuel tanks interchangeable among all the first gens? I guess if you weld a tank and then smear JB weld all over it, and use cheap paint, it'll last long enough to get it out of your hair. :headache:

Are there any solutions to the dash panels, other than more broken ones off ebay? Has anyone successfully fabricated something that will work in lieu of the panels? If so, can I see some pics? Is it within the realm of possibility to graft a radio into a non-Royale Venture?

Other than that, I am almost done giving it the "Krylon Touch" (Rustoleum to be honest) which has turned out surprisingly nice. I still need to sort the carbs. I have been through them but get big puffs of black smoke at full throttle, maybe I have some jets in the wrong place.

Starting to get excited about it again. :hihi:

A previous owner put a aftermarket car radio into my 83 Venture Std, with some 4 inch speakers in the dash. I believe he/she removed the left side dash pocket, made a quick mount for the radio, connected in the wiring, added an antenna at the rear, plastic welded in the radio to the dash pocket, and called it done. It works, and works quite well, but truthfully I don't use it all that much. I can take a couple of pictures if that would help (send me a pm if interested).

What I do use is an aftermarket intercom (AutoCom), so I can (a) talk to the passenger if/when need be (b) play music through an iPod © connect a cell phone or CB radio if I wish. The in-helmet speakers give you much more clarity for the music you are listening to than any dash speakers - you don't have to have it blasting to hear it over the engine/wind at highway speeds. Just a thought...

OK yes, all gas tanks are interchangeable. Yes, you can put the Royale radios into the Standard with the plastic bezels fom a royale, or McGuiver your blank panel to take a marine quality radio. What exactly is wrong with your dash?? There are good ones out there on fleabay...

The panels, not the pockets, but the part with the speakers, are so old and sun baked that they are literally falling apart. Most of the ones I see on ebay are broken as well, and very pricey. I suppose its like any other part, I just have to wait for the right one at the right price to come along. I hate waiting though. :(

Are there any solutions to the dash panels, other than more broken ones off ebay? Has anyone successfully fabricated something that will work in lieu of the panels? If so, can I see some pics? Is it within the realm of possibility to graft a radio into a non-Royale Venture?

Here is what I did out of aluminum. I then painted it with wrinkle paint. I also set the radio at 30º to help the CD play better and to change CD's while riding.

RandyA

Randy, that looks really cool. You can come on over any time and start working on mine. hehe. Seriously, I was thinking of doing something like that. Only thing is, I need the panel that your part drops into as well. I can maybe get the left to work, but the right is in about 15 pieces.

Randy, that looks really cool. You can come on over any time and start working on mine. hehe. Seriously, I was thinking of doing something like that. Only thing is, I need the panel that your part drops into as well. I can maybe get the left to work, but the right is in about 15 pieces.

I just bought the right panel that the cb and leveling system mounts from boats . net for my 87yr for $50.88 + tax they sell both of these panels for each side i could not find good ones on ebay so i am going with new ones.

Is it within the realm of possibility to graft a radio into a non-Royale Venture?

...:hihi:

Yes, there are two ways to do it. 1 is to find a Cyclesound plate that goes on the left side that will mount a regular Car stereo. Then put a pair of Car stereo speakers in the dash speaker locations, wire them up.

Two is to spend a few hundred dollars buying all the stock radio parts and wiring and install it. The STD has the power plug for the radio harness behind the headlight.

If you want to do the Car stereo route, let me know. I have a good Cyclesound plate that was modified to use a modern car stereo in it that I'll let go for $25.00..

I went the crazy-mans route and spend about $250.00 for all the wiring and parts to install the stock radio. Most expensive parts were a non-destroyed radio mounting plate, the intercom wiring, and a working radio control module that did not have water damage. I still need to spend over a hundred on a cheap pair of headsets....

boats.net are cheaper on there prices, bikebandet, and others list prices are always higher than boats.net. I know a boat dealer, yes a yamaha boat dealer that has a parts service for anything yamaha sells and is always cheaper on prices than any one else i have found. Example the plastic that the air control and cb fit into goes for $180.+ at most, but is priced at $135. at boats.net . They just sent me a email that mine has been shipped today, not bad just ordered it two days ago and they had to get it from yamaha.