IGNORED

A big problem

meatloaf

Well this has been going on for a month or so. My onboard computer that shows the checklist when you start the bike up goes on and off on me when am I am riding which causes the bike not to show the temp guage,if it's charging,how much gas,no blinkers,no brake lights,and no dash lights. It has never done this before and the only thing we did is Dana resodered the indicator module for the cold broken soder spots. Deacon Dan has the same 86 venture as mine and his has the same problem his checklist comes up but not all the time his also goes on and off. To add more his fuse box is real hot to the touch. I got the spare module from Dana and put it on mine and it never cut off but it gave a false reading on the gas amount and the gas picture would stay up. I just think it's wierd that the 2 bikes have the same problem. Oh yeah then I put the one that we got from Dana that I had put in my bike to test and it had the same problem it had in mine false gas reading and gas light staying on. Also the computer would come on and go through the check list but would come off and on when it felt like it. So does anyone know or have an idea whats going on with 2 bikes having the same issues to the panel cutting on and off for no apparent reason? Myself,Dana and Deacon Dan are lost we think it might be the control module not sure whats it is called but does the checkup on the items when you turn the bike on. I was thinking that might be it but why does both cut off and on for no reason. Any ideas or if you selling a comp module well 2 of them let me know.

Meatloaf:sick:

So, you said you soldered the thing right? Any chance there is a short somewhere when you hooked up the wiring to the back?

I am fishing, but it almost sounds like a short somewhere along the wires. By the end of the day you should get more responses that may be more helpfull.

Guest ssparks905

Meatloaf,

I had a similar rpoblem with my instrument cluster. Turned out to be a bad fuse holder. The fuse was just flopping around in it. I tried to squeeze the prongs together and they broke off. :doh:. I bought an in-line fuues holder and wired around the broken one. I plan to replace the fuse holder on top of the battery, but this works for now.

Good luck.:thumbsup2:

Meatloaf,

I had a similar rpoblem with my instrument cluster. Turned out to be a bad fuse holder. The fuse was just flopping around in it. I tried to squeeze the prongs together and they broke off. :doh:. I bought an in-line fuues holder and wired around the broken one. I plan to replace the fuse holder on top of the battery, but this works for now.

Good luck.:thumbsup2:

You stole my post! I could have written this one too! Exact same story on mine!

Guest ssparks905

Sorry to steal your thunder Helomech! I think it was your post a few months back that helped me find my problem. Just passin' it on :thumbsup:

Meatloaf and BlackOwl, The part that gets hot is usually the point of high resistance. If the fuse block is overheating, there is probably a bad connection between the fuse holder and the fuse, loose or corroded. That would be the first place to check. It worked wonders for my scoot!

I will tell Deacon Dan about the short or the fuse box. I myself have the new fuse box. I and Dana put in the fuse box that squidley made so mine might not be the problem. But on mine I know I did not have this problem until Dana and I put the capasitor on the wire to the battery to make the light go out since I had no place to put the battery indicator plug in the battery, got tired of the red light staying on. And the only other thing Dana and I did was to solder the indicator control box and put it back in the bike. Not sure if either one of those are the problem but it never did it until that time frame.

Thx,

Meatloaf :confused24: