Anyone know the factory setting for idle and how to adjust it if needed? Had my 64k service done today and don't believe it was done correctly. I could take it back and say fix it, but if they potentially didn't do it right the 1st time...

At a stop light, clutch pulled in, idles around 1100 rpm. Put it in neutral to be curious and it shot up to about 2-2100 rpm. I am pretty sure before I brought it in for service, the idle rpm speed was about the same regardless of in gear w/ clutch lever pulled all the way in or in neutral. Really not sure why it would make a difference. It practically accomplishes the same thing.

Going in the highway at 65 mph, was around 2500-3k. Kinda weird that neutral and 65 mph are just about the same rpm.

Also while going 65 mph, pull in the clutch lever and you can still hear the engine rev the same rmp for a few seconds instead of an instant drop. It more or less goes at the 2500-3k rpm for a few seconds and then gradually drops. I am used to an instant drop and not a delay.

When shifting gears you hear the engine rev between the shifts. It runs pretty close to like it used to when going from 4th-5th.

To quote the paperwork "Unit idles irratic and hangs us sometimes. Unit will need a carb. clean in the near future" Well I put in a full can of seafoam this year. Granted it could have loosened up some debris, plugged the jets, etc...but before I brought it in I wasn't complaining. It seemed to handle the same way (until after it was serviced today) since I bought the bike back in June '08 and this is the 2nd service done by this dealer. Just a guess, but I doubt the previous owner did anything for carb cleaning additives. So not sure if a carb cleaning is in order.

On the 64k service they did change the plugs, synch the carbs, & adjust idle (amongs other things, they went by the 4k service). Can the comment about unit idles irratic and hangs up sometimes be related to the carbs being synched incorrectly?

One of my questions (got a list made up already) to the tech on Tuesday when the shop reopens, is did he notice the irratic idle before or after the carbs were synched. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to hear it from him.

It was litterally at the end of the day and shop had about 10 minutes until it closed. The techs were gone except for the service manager. Asked her about the carb cleaning cost. She said and I quote "It has 2 carbs so $160" What!!!!! 2 carbs.....and you are a yamaha service manager. Just a wild guess, but I believe there are 4. I have read stories like this on this board but never happened to me until now. And also, I'll pass on the carb cleaning. The jets might need pulled to make sure there aren't any debris in them, but I ain't gonna pay to have it done for that much and based on my past 2 experiences w/ them, I ain't gonna let them touch the carbs. Too much knowledge on this board and also people that can help out if need be.

I also mentioned to her that it's weird that it needs the carbs cleaned since I put in a can of seafoam earlier in the year. She said yeah, that stuff works ok, but sometimes you just have to pull the carbs all apart to get them really clean. Quick poll of '99 owners that have taken their carbs all apart to clean them or felt it was necessary.

Thanks

Spec sheet says that the rpm's at idle should be 900 rpm's. The idle adjustment is just under the right side of the fuel tank to the rear of the #3 carb. It has a philips head center but you can turn it with your fingers. Check your throttle cables for any binding, especially the return cable. The cable adjustment and return spring is on the left side, a the rear of carb #1. You will have to pull the fuel tank to adjust it.

Found one of the nuts on the carb adjustment by # 1 carb was a little loose (not much) so I tightened that up. Still wasn't they way it was before. Also lowered the idle, but apparently wasn't enough. Took it to the dealer closer to home and asked the service manager to take a test ride. He experienced the same thing I was experiencing. He lowered the idle even more and now runs the way it used to (or at least close enough for me to not notice). Also the round nut by the handlebar needed to be loosened up.