OK,

Tried to recharge my motorcycle battery with my car.

By the time I learned what a big no no this is I caused some damage.

I went and got my battery charged and put it back in.

My turn signals do not work front or back.

My turn signals work as riding lights in the front.

Do I have fuse problems. Do I have to rewire something. Not really sure where the fuses are located. I do have all the fairings off at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Bob,

I'm definately not a whiz but I may be able to point you in some direction until one of the real pros get on board.

First of all, your fuses should be located right on top of the battery (black plastic case) that's always a good place to start. If they aren't there perhaps try following the big red contact lead from the battery......it should go to a main fuse and then to the fuse block.

Did you happen to smell anything burning as you were charging the battery??rubber/plastic (as in - did you melt a wire or perhaps a relay??). If you did that/those wires will have to be replaced or repaired (I would say depending on how much damage was done)

I would think fuse myself but that's just me.

Bob,

I dont necessarily think you fried anything (I might be wrong though), even if you had the car putting a charge back in the battery it wasn't any more voltage than the bikes charging system puts out. A weak spot on the 1st gens is that fuse block under the faux tank cover. I have replaced mine on all the 1st gens I have owned and several other 1st gens of other members.

Skydoc17 has a kit that he sells in the classifieds

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/2330

I use an 8 spot fuse block and mine looks like the pics below. The next and perhaps maybe the most important question, why was the battery dead, and how old is it. If it's more than say 3 or 4 years old, get a new battery. Only then will you be able to check the charging system to make sure it is all working right. Chime back in and give a few more details to the story and we'll see what we can come up with :happy34:

Thanks for the help guys.

I left my key on and ran my battery to zero.

I tried to charge my battery using my van with the van called off.

I started to see some new riding lights that I put on the front fender flicker in unison and then shut off. I disconnected the battery. Never smelled anything burning.

I have wired my house and quite a few projects, but I never quite "get it". I can follow instructions and diagrams, but I don't get ohms, volts, amps etc. Is the fuse retro project very straight forward?

Again, thanks for your involvment.

Hey Bobby,

I am a pretty decent mechanic but have admitted I am "electrically retarded". With that being said, the fuse box upgrade kit comes with every part you need, complete written instructions, a wiring schematic with the color of every wire and where it goes. There is no soldering required. You can install this kit with a screw driver, pliers, and a crimp tool. I state in the classifieds ad "a caveman can do it". If you follow the directions, when you read the last words in the directions, you will have a new ATC type fuse box fully functional in your VR.

Hope this helps, and thanks again Squid,

Earl