IGNORED

Improving Airflow Behind the Lower Fairing

davelusk

I'm looking for suggestions or solutions for increasing rider cooling behind the lower fairings on my 05 Midnight Venture.

I believe the lower fairing causes some back draft of hot air across my chins after passing through the radiator.

Has anyone found a solution for this comfort issue?

I've seen a few modifications to Goldwings for rider comfort such as the addition of attached air deflectors on the outside edge of the fairing to direct airflow into the area immediately behind the lower fairing to break up this "hot air backflow".

Any suggestions?

in hot weather, I removed the clear plastic deflectors that are on the bottom of the upper fairing.

You have to remove the cover to get at the 3 screws each.

Also, note that the 3 screws are NOT the same size, so I reinstalled the screws, so I would not loose them or get them in the wrong order when I wanted to re-install the deflectors.

A PITA, but it works for me.

I wish that the deflectors were easily removable, but then somebody would probably take them.....

in hot weather, I removed the clear plastic deflectors that are on the bottom of the upper fairing.

You have to remove the cover to get at the 3 screws each.

Also, note that the 3 screws are NOT the same size, so I reinstalled the screws, so I would not loose them or get them in the wrong order when I wanted to re-install the deflectors.

A PITA, but it works for me.

I wish that the deflectors were easily removable, but then somebody would probably take them.....

I agree it would be a PITA. I was looking at a few HD Ultras and their lowers on the fairing are hinged. That is def what Yamaha should have done. I have been looking at how we could make ours hinged to direct the airflow better. Also wish that the lower fairings could be removed for summer riding like the HD Ultras.