IGNORED

Originallity

Bubbajbi

I don't mean to offend anyone who has a flame paint job on their bike but isn't anyone doing anything original? It seems like every othe bike out there has flames on it in one way, shape or form. I was just browsing through websites looking for custom paint ideas and almost all the paint jobs I saw, or at least 95% of them had flames. Why are flames so trendy? They look alright but if you are going to pay big $$$ for a custom bike, don't you want to make sure that it really stands out from the rest? I ride with a guy who paid $40k for a Screamin Eagle "custom" HD. I have seen 5 other guys riding the EXACT SAME BIKE in this area alone. Why pay the money for a "cookie cut" bike? And yes his bike too has flamed pinstriping.

:rant:

I guess I just don't get it.

James, check out my bike in my gallery - a little different. I agree about flames/skulls - though I have seen some gorgeous paint jobs with those themes. The lady who painted my bike - http://www.signsandwondersbysue.com/index.php

Sue Hopper - will be in Walnut Grove 10/13/07 - she also did the fender on Rich's bike. A bunch of us with the local STAR chapter are riding over there on 10/13/07 if you would like to come along.

I'll also have to admit - I too get a little frustrated as I've shown the bike now in a few competitions - and competing against factory "custom" paint jobs is a little discouraging - but hey, in the end, it's all good for me.

James, check out my bike in my gallery - a little different. I agree about flames/skulls - though I have seen some gorgeous paint jobs with those themes. The lady who painted my bike - http://www.signsandwondersbysue.com/index.php

Sue Hopper - will be in Walnut Grove 10/13/07 - she also did the fender on Rich's bike. A bunch of us with the local STAR chapter are riding over there on 10/13/07 if you would like to come along.

I'll also have to admit - I too get a little frustrated as I've shown the bike now in a few competitions - and competing against factory "custom" paint jobs is a little discouraging - but hey, in the end, it's all good for me.

1stGen's are so fast that the flames appear naturally.....:bikersmilie::thumbsup2::cool10::rotf::rotf:

When I still had my paint shop open a few years back I got VERY frustrated about flames as well. I would get all sorts of people coming in to my shop wanting to customize their scoot. 99% of them wanted flames. I painted so many flames that I could probably do it with my eyes closed.

I saw nothing original about flames. It's what everybody wanted.

I have a friend that wanted his new HD to stand out from the crowd and asked me what he needed to do with it to accomplish this. I told him to leave it stock. He did, and it stands out from the crowd just like he wanted. It's plain.

I'll admit, my own HD has flames. But all the other paintwork makes the ghost flames even harder to see. They disappear into the paintwork. Which was what I wanted. Flames that only show up under certain lighting conditions.

When I still had my paint shop open a few years back I got VERY frustrated about flames as well. I would get all sorts of people coming in to my shop wanting to customize their scoot. 99% of them wanted flames. I painted so many flames that I could probably do it with my eyes closed.

I saw nothing original about flames. It's what everybody wanted.

I have a friend that wanted his new HD to stand out from the crowd and asked me what he needed to do with it to accomplish this. I told him to leave it stock. He did, and it stands out from the crowd just like he wanted. It's plain.

I'll admit, my own HD has flames. But all the other paintwork makes the ghost flames even harder to see. They disappear into the paintwork. Which was what I wanted. Flames that only show up under certain lighting conditions.

Now THAT'S original! Bike looks great. I wish more people would come up with ideas like that.