IGNORED

Front Brakes noise

Whistler

Im sure that some one else has had something closr... When I use the front brakes and I come to a full stop and squeze a little harder the brakes make a noise sounds a little like the chirping that I,ve been reading about... Is there any way to get rid of it ... It seems to get a little loud after awhile Ron:cool10:

Don't really know if there is anything you can do about the brake noise. Both my Yamas have awefule front brake noise.

Only suggestion I could make is pull the pads and rough them up with some sand paper or emory cloth.

I have not change mine yet, but the other option might be use organic pads.

Only suggestion I could make is pull the pads and rough them up with some sand paper or emory cloth...

I actually tried that this morning. The sounds mine make are inconsistent. Sometimes they are perfectly quiet and sometimes it sounds like a metal-on-metal scrape/squeal or something... I don't know how else to describe it. Mine have been this way since a few hundred miles after I got it. I have about 75% pad left on all 4 in front. I wanted to try rouging it up (since I know that glazing can cause some squeal) and no dice. Same deal.

The only thing I have not done (not including changing the pads all together) is replaced the spring (that run 20 bucks a piece) that keep the brake pad tight. I have adjusted it so that it holds the pad tight, like it is supposed to, but I have not replaced it (and the book says to replace those with every pad change).

I am pretty sure what I have on there right now (the fronts any ways) are the yamaha metallic pads. I'm fed up with this (it is embarrassing) so tomorrow morning I'm going to replace them with the EBC organic (not the HH sintered ones, just the organic). If it makes a difference I'll let ya'll know...

Mine was doing the same, sounded like metal to metal... I thought they where wore out, ordered the EBC pads and changed the out, the old pads still had over 50% pad left, but the EBC pads are quiet and work great!!!

I actually tried that this morning. The sounds mine make are inconsistent. Sometimes they are perfectly quiet and sometimes it sounds like a metal-on-metal scrape/squeal or something... I don't know how else to describe it. Mine have been this way since a few hundred miles after I got it. I have about 75% pad left on all 4 in front. I wanted to try rouging it up (since I know that glazing can cause some squeal) and no dice. Same deal.

The only thing I have not done (not including changing the pads all together) is replaced the spring (that run 20 bucks a piece) that keep the brake pad tight. I have adjusted it so that it holds the pad tight, like it is supposed to, but I have not replaced it (and the book says to replace those with every pad change).

I am pretty sure what I have on there right now (the fronts any ways) are the yamaha metallic pads. I'm fed up with this (it is embarrassing) so tomorrow morning I'm going to replace them with the EBC organic (not the HH sintered ones, just the organic). If it makes a difference I'll let ya'll know...

Mine was doing the same, sounded like metal to metal... I thought they where wore out, ordered the EBC pads and changed the out, the old pads still had over 50% pad left, but the EBC pads are quiet and work great!!!

Exactly what I did last year. Been quiet very since. :mo money:

Had the anoying squeal so I took the front (both sides) apart and used NAPA brake grease on all moving parts except between the pad and piston. Noise went away for a few rides and it came back. Read yesterday on this thread that greasing between the pad and piston took care of the noise so I did mine yesterday and went for a ride. Everything nice and quiet now. We will see if it lasts.

Put on the EBC pads sunday and they have been much quieter... a little squeal now but I don't have that gd awful grind.

I'll squeeze some more of that grease on the back of the pad and clean the rotors again...

Thanks for asking the question whistler, I thought it was just mine!

Rick M.

It seems to vary greatly, maybe more so than the question, how many miles do you get out of a set of tires.

Initially I was expecting to have to put in new rear pads at 10,000 miles, based on some comments I read after joining the forum. But it seems that is the low extreme, with others claiming upwards towards 30,000 miles.

Checking the pads every oil change and rotating the inner and outer rear pads every oil change or so seems wise.

There was a recent article about using a shim with the rear caliper mounting bolts to even out the uneven wear.

Had the anoying squeal so I took the front (both sides) apart and used NAPA brake grease on all moving parts except between the pad and piston. Noise went away for a few rides and it came back. Read yesterday on this thread that greasing between the pad and piston took care of the noise so I did mine yesterday and went for a ride. Everything nice and quiet now. We will see if it lasts.

aka anti-squeal .... as I mentioned earlier. I had similar problems with my front brakes almost since new (bike only had 1300 kilometers when I bought it). I applied the grease (anti-squeal) between the pads and the caliper (piston area) and it went away immediately.

A few days ago I put on the organic pads which reduced the noise from the front by at least 75% but there was still a little. As per other suggestions I went out and picked up some brake grease (syl-gel) and put it on the backs of all of the brake pads. I rode a few hundred miles today and listened very carefully. Not once did they even hint at squealing. Hopefully it'll stay that way for a while.