IGNORED

punctured gas tank

Iowa Guy

I took the fairing off of the ninja 250 that my son rides to fix a major crack in the fairing with plastexs. That repair worked great. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled the fairing, I missed one of the washers where the fairing attaches to the gas tank and screwed the bolt in too far and punctured the gas tank.

So my question is "How do I patch a gas tank?"

:crying:

Iowa Guy

It it's metal, you CAN weld it. - But, make sure you fill it with water pretty close to where the hole is. Then you can braise it shut. Then repaint the tank. - This is how I did it in the 'old days' on a wrecked bike.

Or, I'm sure they have some kind of putty these days that is made for such a thing. Then you wouldn't have to repaint the tank.

craigr

I took the fairing off of the ninja 250 that my son rides to fix a major crack in the fairing with plastexs. That repair worked great. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled the fairing, I missed one of the washers where the fairing attaches to the gas tank and screwed the bolt in too far and punctured the gas tank.

So my question is "How do I patch a gas tank?"

:crying:

Iowa Guy

JB Weld gets my vote. I have seen that stuff used by more farmers to fix everything....up to and including cheating wives!:rotf:

Boomer........the helpful kinda guy.:hihi:

JB Weld gets my vote. I have seen that stuff used by more farmers to fix everything....up to and including cheating wives!:rotf:

Well, JB Weld was what I was thinking of but I haven't used the stuff much before.

Iowa Guy

Well, JB Weld was what I was thinking of but I haven't used the stuff much before.

Iowa Guy

Just make sure the area is CLEAN before you apply the JB Weld....that means a bit of sanding.....and wipe the area with rubbing alcohol before application as well.

In this case it prolly would not hurt to install a SMALL stainless screw INTO the hole before you put the JBW to the area.

Do it right and that JBW will outlast the tank.

Boomer.....who's seen JBW work well except on the MIL's jaws.

Just thankfull you didn't share the details of

"farmers to fix everything....up to and including cheating wives!"

This is PG isn't it?????? :2cents:

Thanks Much

Bubber

Just make sure the area is CLEAN before you apply the JB Weld....that means a bit of sanding.....and wipe the area with rubbing alcohol before application as well.

In this case it probably would not hurt to install a SMALL stainless screw INTO the hole before you put the JBW to the area.

Do it right and that JBW will outlast the tank.

Boomer.....who's seen JBW work well except on the MIL's jaws.

Good idea about cleaning and the small stainless steel screw in the hole. Man, I love this site. I seem to learn something every time I get on here. Okay, I am off to buy a fresh tube of JBW.

Iowa Guy

:dancefool: