IGNORED

Carbon-One Lift Adapter

I just used the adapter last weekend and it worked as advertised. put the pin through the holes, put the jack under that and lift. Amazingly, it was just that easy. I have a J&S jack and love it. Before I put the legs on I can move the bike easily anywhere I want to, it rolls that easy on the J&S jack.

great adapter with a great Jack! makes working on, or cleaning, the bike a pleasure.

Jerry

Edited by jdzimme
correct Jack manufacturer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I bit the bullet today and picked up a jack (it finally went on sale again) so I could use my fancy new adapter to check a few things out.

First of all, thanks Larry for making such a high quality product and being good about communication and shipping.

Next, everyone that talked about how good this adapter was and all; I believed you, but was still amazed at how well it works (Now I just need someone to level my garage floor so everything will be square :rasberry:). I definitely see the high quality that everyone is talking about and how sturdy it is on the 4 legs is amazing. I know I would NEVER get under a car without jack stands and now I can do the same with the bike (not to mention actually use a lift on the bike :happy34:)

I'll stop rambling, but thought I would throw a few pictures in for grins.

Thanks again Larry,

- Rick M.

Lovin mine too! How do you find the Craftman jack? I have one from Canadian Tire which leaves a little bit to be desired but it works ok..

Lovin mine too! How do you find the Craftman jack? I have one from Canadian Tire which leaves a little bit to be desired but it works ok..

I just got it yesterday (a buddy of mine that works at sears owed me a favor :D) But I lifted the venture twice with it yesterday. First time to make sure the jack was working properly and to get a feel for how it all works, and the second time to actually examine the front wheel and do a few other things throughout the bike.

My initial impressions are very good. It weighs about 40 lbs, has a very low profile but will still lift to about 19". The wheels actually roll when the bike is up (almost effortlessly I might add). It jacks up quickly and smoothly and lets down the same. It has a built in mechanical safety mechanism that locks at 3 (I think) different heights, automatically. I looked at the professional series (the yellow one pictured), the regular craftsman one (red one), two Harbor Freight jacks and one from tractor supply. I decided on the professional series Craftsman jack based on the construction; it appeared to me that it was the best built (in the price range anyways) with the most versatility (weight, range of lifting heights, maneuverability, Quality of wheels to contribute to loaded maneuverability, and a few other things; including personal experience with a few other brands that failed).

If you are interested, I'd be happy to follow up with you in a few weeks after I get some more use out of it. I'll be using it a few more times on my venture as well as a few other bikes.

So far I am pleased with it and glad that I did not go with one of the other ones. I am not willing to endorse it just yet, until I get some more experience with it.

Hope that helps! :)

I just got it yesterday (a buddy of mine that works at sears owed me a favor :D) But I lifted the venture twice with it yesterday. First time to make sure the jack was working properly and to get a feel for how it all works, and the second time to actually examine the front wheel and do a few other things throughout the bike.

My initial impressions are very good. It weighs about 40 lbs, has a very low profile but will still lift to about 19". The wheels actually roll when the bike is up (almost effortlessly I might add). It jacks up quickly and smoothly and lets down the same. It has a built in mechanical safety mechanism that locks at 3 (I think) different heights, automatically. I looked at the professional series (the yellow one pictured), the regular craftsman one (red one), two Harbor Freight jacks and one from tractor supply. I decided on the professional series Craftsman jack based on the construction; it appeared to me that it was the best built (in the price range anyways) with the most versatility (weight, range of lifting heights, maneuverability, Quality of wheels to contribute to loaded maneuverability, and a few other things; including personal experience with a few other brands that failed).

If you are interested, I'd be happy to follow up with you in a few weeks after I get some more use out of it. I'll be using it a few more times on my venture as well as a few other bikes.

So far I am pleased with it and glad that I did not go with one of the other ones. I am not willing to endorse it just yet, until I get some more experience with it.

Hope that helps! :)

Yes please do let me know in a few weeks.. I need to pick up a second jack and could possibly get a Sears one if available here in Canada..

thanks M8

Yes please do let me know in a few weeks.. I need to pick up a second jack and could possibly get a Sears one if available here in Canada..

thanks M8

I tried to find one in their on-line catalogue but could not. I do seem to recall tho that what's available in the stores is not always in the catalogue. Seems when I was looking tho, the US Sears showed the M/C jacks on-line.

Will Do :)

I tried to find one in their on-line catalogue but could not. I do seem to recall tho that what's available in the stores is not always in the catalogue. Seems when I was looking tho, the US Sears showed the M/C jacks on-line.

Yes, the US sears has the jacks online.

The sears by me carries both jacks in store, but do not keep them out on the floor. My buddy said that there is such a low demand for them, they just don't bother taking up the floor space.

Also, if it is in the catalog and the store does not typically carry it, the store can order it for you to be delivered in store without a delivery charge. You may have to pay upfront, but you get out of the delivery charge that way.

US stores and CAN stores are often a lot different. There's a lot of stuff you US guys can buy from places like Sears, Walmart, and the like that our stores up here just don't carry. Further, you have several "big name" stores that we don't. IT REALLY SUCKS!

Sears.ca has ONE jack. Sears.com has 28 ... yes, TWENTY-EIGHT

US stores and CAN stores are often a lot different. There's a lot of stuff you US guys can buy from places like Sears, Walmart, and the like that our stores up here just don't carry. Further, you have several "big name" stores that we don't. IT REALLY SUCKS!

Sears.ca has ONE jack. Sears.com has 28 ... yes, TWENTY-EIGHT

I would certainly believe that you guys get the shaft on stuff like that. It may not hurt to ask at your local store to see if they could get it in... See about shipping to you from an American store or worst case, find a US store that is just across the border from you - do the buy online/pick-up in-store thing to guarantee that you'll find it when you get there, then make the drive.

There is a sears in Bellingham, WA which is ~55 miles south of Vancouver... :confused24:

I would certainly believe that you guys get the shaft on stuff like that. It may not hurt to ask at your local store to see if they could get it in... See about shipping to you from an American store or worst case, find a US store that is just across the border from you - do the buy online/pick-up in-store thing to guarantee that you'll find it when you get there, then make the drive.

There is a sears in Bellingham, WA which is ~55 miles south of Vancouver... :confused24:

Can't go south of the border .... haven't got the right security clearance.

Whenever I've asked anyone, including top managers, in a store such as Walmart about getting something that they don't either have or are out of stock on, the reply is generally "oh...that's all handled out of head office...we have no control over that".

Those store people are nuthin but pawns.

Can't go south of the border .... haven't got the right security clearance.

Whenever I've asked anyone, including top managers, in a store such as Walmart about getting something that they don't either have or are out of stock on, the reply is generally "oh...that's all handled out of head office...we have no control over that".

Those store people are nuthin but pawns.

Huh, that stinks man - I guess the folks I have dealt with have a different attitude... Well, I'm willing to bet that there are enough people around that if you wanted something we could help you out :thumbsup2:

Not to mention that I am a frequent visitor to Vancouver...

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago, I bought a Harbor Freight lift for $60. I used it to raise my RSV to check the front fork bearings. After guessing at some jacking points (I used the center stand mounts and went just in front of the oil pan), the bike went up, but didn't feel very stable. The bike was also tilted, as the 2 jacking points weren't level on the bike. I was really careful and gentle moving the forks to check the bearings. There's no way I'd wrench on the bike with it raised like that. After checking the bearings, I went to slowly lower the bike, pushing the release pedal all the way down on the jack, per the instructions. The bike dropped like a rock, bounced, and somehow ended up on the tires and kickstand. I was holding the handlebar, but was not in control of 885 pounds of dropping bouncing bike. I almost had a heart attack.

Fast forward a few weeks. After buying Carbon One's Stebel horn adapter, which is a rugged, perfectly sized and formed piece of art and deserves and entire "thank you Larry" thread of it's own, I decided to try the Carbon One lift adapter. I sent payment, and received an email that it was shipped about 4 hours later! When the adapter arrived, I got out my new Craftsman Professional jack, mounted the adapter, and raised the bike.

The bike was level and firmly on the jack. I could rock it forward and backward (the jack flexes a bit), and it still felt completely stable. I turned the handle on the jack slightly to release pressure, and the bike came down nice and slow, and tipped gently onto its side stand. WOOHOO!!

So, of course, I raised it up and put it down about 10 times, every time the same. Up, stable, down nice and gentle. And the bike feels rock solid with the legs in the adapter. As others have said in this forum many times, the Carbon One lift adapter is super awesome.

Thank you Larry !!! You rock !

:thumbsup2:

I also ordered and received the Lift Adapter .... I tell ya... it shore looks purdy sittin on mah workbench! :rotf:

Actually, I got the whole clutch out and bikes still full of oil so can't "test out" the lift adapter until I get the clutch back in... coz I don't wanna drain the oil..that's why (geeesh... I knew someone would ask) :sign20:

man I'm chompin at the bit waitin for the dealer to get me a new basket!

• 1 month later...

Crappy Tire is selling their "MotorMaster" bike jack for a decent price recently but unfortunately, it's not safe for our large bikes.

With the carbon 1 lift adapter, the older Crappy Tire models have a lip that fits the adapter in between perfectly, preventing the adapter from sliding off then end.. very secure..

The NEW one they are selling is exactly 1 inch shorter on the support lift arms so when you hoist the bike up using the Carbon 1 left adapter, the lip sits directly under the frame.. If you give a light tap or a shove on the side of the bike, it will literally swing off the jack arms and crash to the deck.. wow.. talk about scary the first time it started to fall off the jack.. there is no way to securely 'secure' the bike to that jack.. I took it off my friend's hands for use on the VStar and it wouldn't even fit on that bike.. so a strip of angle iron welded to the arm will do the trick.. Shame though.. nice jacks but what a waste!

So if you're a Canuck looking for a jack, keep away from the crappy tire ones.. they're no longer 'good'..

I certainly agree with all of your appraisals of the carbon one adpter. I also have one. It's a fine piece of equipment. I've raised my RSV several times and have it covered and sitting on the legs now, for the winter. I bought the Sears Red jack when it was on sale for $89, and it works very smooth. A fantastic pair! It's not really important, but I put small painted dots, 1 to 4, on the legs and also matching on the adapter. Then each time the legs are inserted, they always go into the same position, just in case the bolt holes don't always aleign.

So if you're a Canuck looking for a jack, keep away from the crappy tire ones.. they're no longer 'good'..

When did they change them? I got mine on sale from CT a couple of years ago and its been great. I use it with an adapter made from scrap lumber and the bike is very solid.

It's not really important, but I put small painted dots, 1 to 4, on the legs and also matching on the adapter. Then each time the legs are inserted, they always go into the same position, just in case the bolt holes don't always aleign.

yeah... that's not important at all... that's why I painted numbers 1 thru 4 on mine .... :rotf: :rotf:

yeah... that's not important at all... that's why I painted numbers 1 thru 4 on mine .... :rotf: :rotf:

I guess I got the deluxe model or something... Mine already had numbers on them and a brief note explaining why the numbers were there. (Thanks Larry :thumbsup2:)

I guess I got the deluxe model or something... Mine already had numbers on them and a brief note explaining why the numbers were there. (Thanks Larry :thumbsup2:)

Mine had numbers on the bottom of the feet and inside the lift adapter holes. Right where you couldn't see them.

I put gaffers tape on both the legs and adapter, visible from the right side of the bike and wrote in the numbers with a Sharpie. I install all the legs from the same side.

Dave

When did they change them? I got mine on sale from CT a couple of years ago and its been great. I use it with an adapter made from scrap lumber and the bike is very solid.

Last year they introduced the newer version and seems like all the old stock is gone now.. I've been to the three local CT stores and all they have is the newer one which is useless for most bikes.. I chatted to a bunch of lads today who weren't away of the size differences and they got down and had another look at how much bike was actually on the arms safely and now they're taking their jacks back for a refund. Dunno about you but that is one of the things I always check when hoisting a bike is ensure its on there properly..

Next time I'm in the garage I'll mount both under the frame to show you the difference.. its kinda scary actually..

I added angle iron to the lift. This along with Carbon 1 adaptor makes it very solid while off the ground. I also removed the seat and put a strap over the frame if I was going to leave it on the lift and not use the adaptor legs.

Edited by GunnyButch

Mine had numbers on the bottom of the feet and inside the lift adapter holes. Right where you couldn't see them.

yup... mine did too but I understand why that is ... not everyone wants numbers or dots on the shiny black surfaces that everyone can see. :eek:

I have a couple of changes I think I am going to make on mine.

1. - I think I will paint each leg a different color, then match each female part of the Adapter with the same color. It will make it just that much easier to match them up quickly. I really don't care how it looks.

2. - Use 'hitch pins' instead of bolts for the legs. Again, it will make it just that much easier / quicker to lock the legs into place.

craigr

I have a couple of changes I think I am going to make on mine.

1. - I think I will paint each leg a different color, then match each female part of the Adapter with the same color. It will make it just that much easier to match them up quickly. I really don't care how it looks.

2. - Use 'hitch pins' instead of bolts for the legs. Again, it will make it just that much easier / quicker to lock the legs into place.

craigr

I'd thought about the "hitch pin" method too....just haven't gotten around to getting some.

Another idea I am contemplating is putting wheels on the leg base plates. 'nuther one of those "round toit's". Considering the slight movement of the legs in the adapter slots, I'm not sure if I'd retain the stability tho. Possibly a "U" shaped base might work ... the adapter legs would just sit on it ...