IGNORED

Shark Evoline convertible modular helmet

dynodon

I won this helmet at the STAR Midwest event last weekend in Indianapolis. Black, new, size XL, normally I wear a Large, but the person offering the item for the charity auction said it ran small, so I tried it on and it was a great fit. Here is my review after a nice one hour ride last night:

I got to try out the Shark Evoline helmet last night. This is a heavy helmet, I feel it and the weight naturally shifts depending on where you have the chin bar, feels best with the bar back, but I don't think it will be a problem in either case. I had it on for an hour and it was fine. Weight was one of the worse comments about this helmet that I have read in reviews, I don't think it will be a problem for most people.

But most important, it was the best helmet I have ever had for the least amount of air buffeting or wind noise/blast. With the bar back and the shield up, it was a nice flow of air around the face, with the shield down, there was a noticeable slow flow under it but not up into the eyes.

With the bar in front position and the shield open, there was a little air around the face, and with the shield down, I could only feel a tiny tickle on the bottom of my beard.

That was the important test, because if the helmet let a LOT of air up inside around the chin/mouth/eyes with the bar down and the shield closed it would be hard to stay warm in winter, but this promises to be a very comfortable and warm helmet in winter, with convertible features and usefulness well into spring and starting early fall.

Yesterday it was totally comfortable.

NOTE: temp about 67, winds calm. Bike: 89 VR with Baker wind wings and stock windshield. Most helmets put a lot of air up under the shield on this bike. Speeds, city to 55 country to 70+ mph highway.

So now I look for a headset system for it.

How does the sizing compare to the HJC helmets? I have been looking for the evoline and I have no dealers nearby. The only one I tried, at a bike rally, was XL and I wear a Medium in a HJC.

I have a fear of incorrect fitment so I hesitate to order on line due to NO returns.

Thanks

I was at the BBQ and if the helmet would have fit me I would have bid on it but I wear a XXL and would love to have a shark. I want it more for winter and fall and early spring to keep warm with the full face though. Glad you got it and gave us some info on it thank you!! Let us know how you like as you wear it more.

• 1 month later...

I normally wear a size Large helmet, but the guy at the STAR auction event said that the Evoline ran a size small, so the XL I bought fits just fine. So plan on buying one size larger than normal, be sure to check with whoever you buy from just to be sure.

As for pictures, I don't have any of my helmet, but check out this site for a good review and pictures. Mine is plain black.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-evoline/dot/

I feel this helmet will be one of the quietest/warmest three season helmets I could get, and it can be worn summer also if you want.

I have been waring one for about a month now and did two trips of about 1500 miles and another of about 600 and I love it. The weight and fitment is about the same as my previous Caburg and yes it's a little heavy, but i love the way it flips up. The internal sun sheild makes for poor sun glasses because it doesn't come down far enough. I think that I will just darken it with tape or paint an use it as a sun visor. I think that that is all it was designed to be but they should have made the lens solid or black as as to be a shade. If you ride a crotch rocket they could be used as sun glasses

I wish I could find a helmet that did not cost an arm and a leg and could keep me warm without the aggrivating fogging up. Glad you like it and thanks for the information. I do wish you would include some pictures though. James

see if the manufacture of the helmet you have, makes a double wall snowmobile shield and you wont have any more issues with fog.

mike

• 3 weeks later...

The couple of times I have had my Evoline in cold weather the shield has refused to fog up. works like a charm. I tend to agree that the slide down sunshield is a little short, and not very dark, but it works for me to supplement my sunglasses during the bright times, and works by itself good in the not so bright times.

For the shield itself on this and my other helmets, I bought some windshield tint from Wally World and cut it to run a band on the top edge and bottom edge of all the shields. The top edge works in place of a true sun shield that won't work on full face, and flip-up shields, and the bottom edge works also as a shield when you flip the shade up out of your way.

One $10 or so roll of this stuff has treated about four helmets and I can do another 4 or 5 before I run out. I may want to buy some better quality from a pro shop sometime, but for now, it works oK.

Also, I put this on the OUTSIDE of the shields. If you put it on with liquid, and keep the edges away from the edge of the shield a little, it won't come off, and it preserves the inside anti-fog aspect of the shield. also helps protect the shield from bugs/rocks etc.

I wish I could find a helmet that did not cost an arm and a leg and could keep me warm without the aggrivating fogging up.
A month and a half ago I bought a Hawk flip-up for US$109. It definitely feels cheap compared to the Arai Quantum 2 helmet I had been using before. The face shield seems a bit on the thin side and tends to vibrate a little. Those are the nit-picks.

The Hawk fits my medium head the same as the Arai. The sunshade is dark enough for most sunny conditions and sits far enough down that it is below my line of sight. The closure is metal and seems to be solidly built. The helmet is DOT approved. The chin has a fixed curtain that extends in far enough that there is no breeze from under it. The liner is removeable. The venting seems to work quite well although I have not been able to try it in any hot weather. It looks as though there is enough room to easily mount a mic and headphones but I don't have one yet so that is just a guess. All in all, I am very happy with the Hawk and feel it is a very good helmet for the price.

http://hawkhelmets.com/p/Hawk-Helmets/Advanced-Hawk-Titanium-Grey-Dual-Visor-Full-Face-Motorcycle-Helmet/56992.html

• 2 years later...

I just bought the Evoline ST2, and will have to agree with OP, it is a great helmet, and I hate full face helmets. Yet, it is getting cold, and I decided to splurge on it.

The helmet is very comfortable, even as web bike world says it is very heavy, after 500 miles on Thanksgiving day, I did not notice fatigue. The helmet has a great fit, but the cheek are is tighter with the chin bar down. Cold and noise protection were superb IMHO, however, I always were a half helmet, so I may not be the best person to listen to on that.

There are only three drawbacks to the helmet that I have noticed so far.

1. It is difficult to get the chin bar to lock down while riding, I did not see it as unsafe, yet it was not easy.

2. It is much tighter to me with the chin bar in place.

3. The price, I paid 382 delivered. I do not see it as a bad investment, yet it is 2 to 3 times more than most modular helmets. Because of the way the chin bar locks, I found it to be worth the price difference.

The great,

It accepts the Shark Bluetooth.

Easy to remove liner and pads for washing.

Cold and noise protection.

Comfort.

I bought the Evoline June of 2010. It was my 1st helmet after not riding for 27 years. I read that it was a heavy helmet and that it did not have sufficient air flow for summer cooling. Well it was the flip up and built in sun shade that attracted me. I took 2 days to cover 900 miles. I'm not sure but I think I senced the slight heavyness of the helmet a couple of times, but being my 1st trip in 27 years that my attention was focused on enjoying the ride.

My trip was in the middle of Sept 2010 and I did not feel that the helmet was too hot, maybe one might feel the heat if in Arizona in August. Now that I have a couple thousand of miles with the Evoline I do not notice the heavyness of the Helmet.

Oh I did order the medium size but had to immediately exchange it for a Small.

The sides do squeeze my cheeks, but it has loosen some and I do hope it will loosen more.

This summer I ordered one for my wife and I did not say anything about the weight, and so far she has not complained about it.

I also did order 2 Sharktooth. My wifes helmet being the newer fits the Sharktooth better than mine in respect to the ear piece and the battery. I did not have to make any modification to my helmet. I just need to be a little more careful with the ear speaker and the battery is harder to hide but I got it hidden pretty good.

Riding it as 3/4 helmet is so sweet. It more than compensate for some lack in other areas.

Oh I did asked Evoline if they would come out with an amber to swap out for the darker sunshades. But no answer yet.

Well, after a bit over 2 years with my first gen Shark Evoline,I am still in love with it. the cheek pads have loosened up some. Bought one for my wife, and she loves hers.

The Gen 2 solves most of the problems with the Gen 1, the slide-down sun visor is a bit deeper and easier to use. the face shield seals a bit better. The locks for the chin bar are a bit easier to use. I may upgrade next year, but so far, I still love it. I intended to not use it in the summer, but now ride with it year round as my only helmet. It can be a bit warm on 100 degree days, but with it open, and my Baker wings aimed at my upper torso, I don't notice it much.

Still love having full protection instantly in a rain storm or when wind/bugs become a sudden problem.

I think some people get a chuckle if the happen to catch me putting the chin bar down because I bring it down, pull it down to make sure it is all the down, then PUNCH my chin bar to seat it, maybe a second time to make sure. Must look funny from the other side!:rotf: