Went for one of those rides this afternoon, the one where you are making a run to the store and then you are 20 miles from home on a back road. Well, as I came to a stop on a hill at a stop sign, the bike died instantly and all lights go off. I turn the switch off and back on and had nothing. I coast the bike back to a level place away from the intersection and pull the top cover. I used my ohm/volt meter and the battery was good, so I checked across the main fuse and got no voltage. I pulled the fuse apart and it was blown bigtime. I used a #16 jumper wire across the fuse and turned the switch back on and everything powered up. I figured if it was still a dead short to ground, the #16 wire would give me a second to check it and would act like a fuse. Since that seemed to work ok, I took the fuse apart and stuck the eyelet terminal into the slot on the wire from the battery and it fit snug. I again started the bike and everything worked ok.

Since it was looking like rain and everything was working, I decided to strap the cover to the trunk and take off toward home as it would be real easy to pull the wire apart if something happened.. The bike ran perfect all the way home.

So, now the bike is sitting out in the garage with the terminal pulled apart and I have no idea what caused the fuse to blow. The two screws that hold the fuse in place were tight, so that was not the problem.

I guess I will have to pull fairings and see if I can find a ground point and I also will need another fuse. Anyone got a suggestion on where to get a fuse, I think it is a 40 amp?

RandyA

I guess I will have to pull fairings and see if I can find a ground point and I also will need another fuse. Anyone got a suggestion on where to get a fuse, I think it is a 40 amp?

RandyA

Maybe a fuse that just died of old age and viabration???

Or, when was the last time you cleaned the terminal connections? Dirty or corroded terminals add resistance which increases the circuit load which equals more amperage for each cruddy connection. Not just on the high side but could also be the ground end.

Check your AC Voltage Output, the AC Connector(three white Wires) and your R/R. This will most likely be the Culprit of a miracle blown Main Fuse. You may do that soon, because when your feeding AC into the DC System, a Lot Parts will be damaged, starting from Bulbs up to the Battery.

I stopped by an electronics store today and bought a pack of five 40 amp fuses. These are like the round glass fuses, but are about as big in diameter as your little finger. They are used in these souped up audio systems in cars. I took the ends off and put a hole in each end of the fuse strip and used the original holder and screws.

I checked the red wire down to the reg/rec and did a little rerouting and put some tape on a couple of questionable areas.

I took it for a ride and paid close attention to the volt meter and did not see any spikes or drops. Everything seemed to work fine.

If the weather looks good in the morning, I am planning on taking it to work.

RandyA