IGNORED

keys for luggage

Lock smith can make keys for it and so can Dealer..

I take it that contacting the previous owner for set of keys is out of the question..???:confused24:

How come when my bags won't open you get out the grinder and when someone else's don't work you want to get a locksmith?

Some buddy you are,

BOO

How come when my bags won't open you get out the grinder and when someone else's don't work you want to get a locksmith?

Some buddy you are,

BOO

A size 12 boot to the lid gets any hardbag open lol.. preferably when no key is available..

Grizz, whatever you end up doing (new locks, re-keyed) just get one key at first. Yamaha uses only one side of the key. Have the ignition cut on one side and the luggage cut on the other. Then you will have only one key that will open all your locks. Mark the side for the ignition and that will cut down on the guessing.

I think these lock are pressed together??? Seems like I seen post to that effect on the other hand I believe someone on the forum posted about getting the locks re-keyed to match the ignition. Some locks won't come apart unless you have the key to turn it slightly.

Good luck trying to get a key from Yamaha for the bags, if the bags were new then I'm surprised they didn't come with keys.

At any rate do what Highwayman said so you don't have to carry two keys.

BOO

A size 12 boot to the lid gets any hardbag open lol.. preferably when no key is available..

Now I've got to watch two of you guys around my bike. :crying:

Actually in Eck's case he wanted to use the 4 inch grinder and a broom stick. Believe it or not he got it open with no damage. It only took me three adult beverages to supervise him through the process.:big-grin-emoticon:

BOO

On the inside of some of the locks (my 2001 has it) there is a 3 or 4 digit number. This is the key code. A Yamaha dealer (or a really good locksmith) can cut the key to that number.

But, it IS possible to pull the lock cylinder out of the bags and key them to your current ignition key. What you might find the most helpful is to remove the locks you want re-keyed and take them as well as the ignition key to a locksmith and ask them to key the locks to that particular key. If one says that they cannot do it ask them who else in town can (they may or may not refer you to someone else) or just flip open the yellowpages and try someone else. You will probably have the best luck with one that claims to do automotive applications.

Good luck friend.

On the inside of some of the locks (my 2001 has it) there is a 3 or 4 digit number. This is the key code. A Yamaha dealer (or a really good locksmith) can cut the key to that number.

But, it IS possible to pull the lock cylinder out of the bags and key them to your current ignition key. What you might find the most helpful is to remove the locks you want re-keyed and take them as well as the ignition key to a locksmith and ask them to key the locks to that particular key. If one says that they cannot do it ask them who else in town can (they may or may not refer you to someone else) or just flip open the yellowpages and try someone else. You will probably have the best luck with one that claims to do automotive applications.

Good luck friend.

My RSV 2008 has "THE" 4 digit number on the underside of the gas cap chrome cover. Slide it to the left and a small mirror and flashlite can help see it. Hope this helps and good luck.

My RSV 2008 has "THE" 4 digit number on the underside of the gas cap chrome cover. Slide it to the left and a small mirror and flashlite can help see it. Hope this helps and good luck.

It is my understanding that this changed for some production year, I do not know when yamaha printed it where as some are just under the chrome deal on the gas cap, some are just in the bags, and some are on both. My 2001 RSV has it printed on the bottom of the gas cap cover (which you can see by removing the gas cap and looking at it - or using the mirror and flashlight method if you wish :stickpoke:) AND on the in side of the saddlebag lid. In order to see it on the inside of my lid, I had to remove the plastic cover to expose the underside of the latch mechanism and lock.

I had suggested checking the inside of the lids since he mentioned that they were replaced by the previous owner. Thusly, there is a chance that he could find that code and get one cut if he desired. Personally, I would pull the cylinders and have them rekeyed to match the ignition.