IGNORED

Not bike but need help

MidlifeVenture

Any one know how to adjust the camber on the rear wheels of a Mitsubishi Outlander we have had it done at the shop but end up with a ton of - camber where the tire leans in at the top and just totally eats the inside edge of the tire. I just can't tell if the camber is adjusted by strut location or one of the control arms. there is a small control arm just in front of the rear drive shaft that looks to have a oblong bolt in it but not sure if this would adjust rear camber. I just can't take it in right now and would like to give a good bit of + camber to ride on the other side of the tire till i can deal with it the right way.

Any help would be appreciated greatly :crying:

If it is adjustable, and many are, just take the wheel off and see what is there. You could also take pictures and show us what is there. You could also go to a website like ours, as I am pretty sure there probably is one, and ask them.

Another problem is how much weight are you carring around in it. If it is being adjusted empty, then a lot of weight is added, then it may cahnge it a lot.

RandyA

Dano is correct. You should have 2 bolts in the strut that you can loosen, and adjust the camber. Some vehicles require the purchase of "cam bolts", that are offset, and allow more adjustment as you rotate them. These may have come stock from the factory.

I used to do alignments a few years back.

EDIT: See those two round holes on the right?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/strut.jpg

Edited by Monty

You didn't mention the year and if it was fwd or awd but I looked up a couple different years (2007 and 2002) both were set at the factory and non adjustable. That being said you may be able to find aftermarket camber kits to make the adjustments you need. Some are offset bolts for the struts othe vehicle have a spacer that you cut sections out of according to how much adjustment is needed. Just do a search and see what is offered for your vehicle.

Thanks what I noticed last night if I jack it up and set it down the tire sits flat drive it down the street come back and check the - camber is back so I,m guessing the bushing are worn out. It's a 2004 AWD style its. I'm going to try and see in the light if I can see where the movement is coming from in the light. Still not looking good to me. Strut ataches to the lower control arm with one pivot bolt.

Thanks what I noticed last night if I jack it up and set it down the tire sits flat drive it down the street come back and check the - camber is back so I,m guessing the bushing are worn out. It's a 2004 AWD style its. I'm going to try and see in the light if I can see where the movement is coming from in the light. Still not looking good to me. Strut ataches to the lower control arm with one pivot bolt.

When you jack up almost any vehicle, as the wheels hang freely, they will be at a more positive camber. Unless is is solid axle I guess. That is normal. When you drove it down the rode they would have went back to their normal position. I don't think it necessarily means anything is worn out as any vehicle would do that.

A lot of the vehicle's have the camber adjustment on the lower control arm, and the camber bolt is located toward the center of the vehicle. And I had few that needed the camber bolt kit before any adjustments could be done. All your doing is changing out the preset bolt from the factory and installing the camber bolt kit . just make sure you have no weight or load in the area your working on when removing the bolts or the vehicle could fall on you or worse...If your not mechanically incline leave it to the mechanics.

Do note : If camber kit is needed, When installing the camber kit all this does is makes the camber settings even more worse than the factory settings because now you need a alignment machine to reset the camber settings. If you change out the kits yourself, get the alignment done soon as possible or you could say bye bye to your tires lot sooner!.

Edited by buddy