IGNORED

Rear Break advice?????

StuD

Just spent an all nighter on a friends 85VR. The equalizer for the front & rear break has been removed,the 2 front breaks opperate from the front resavour. The back break opperates from the foot pedal.

PROBLEM is no rear break...

1 resivour is full of fluid

2 caliper has been blead till only fluid/no air

3 pistons are not ceased

4 rotor cleaned with break cleaner

5 lots of pressure at peddle while bleeding

6 new pads

Dont know what else to look at, any ideas? :canada::canada::canada:

That happens. If you compressed the pistons before bleeding it takes a while before the caliper gets 'pumped up' again. Bleed the front brake until you get pedal, and then rebleed the rear caliper and pump the 'H' out of the pedal. Hopefully you'll get pedal again. Once you do get pedal, bleed the lines again. The other possibility is the portioning valve is plugged. It doesn't take much crud to keep fluid from getting to the back caliper. Gotta love those speed bleeders.... :)

Gotta remember to read all posts 3 times before offering advice....

Edited by Condor

When you delink the brakes and remove the proportioning valve, an air bubble gets trapped in the top of the rear master cylinder. The fix is to move the rear brake line to the spot where the left front brake line used to be connected. (see pic) This will allow the air bubble to escape and all will be well. The downside is that you are going to need a longer rear brake line with an angle on it like the one in the pic. I sell this line for $45.00 plus shipping. It is a stainless steel line and top quality. The other thing I wanted to mention is that if you didn't rebuild the rear master cylinder you are going to have a bear of a time pushing fluid to the rear caliper. I used speed bleeders and a vacuum pump to speed up the bleeding process. I have rebuilt master cylinders for sale as well. If you try to rebuild the rear master yourself, invest in a GOOD pair of snap ring pliers, you'll need them! If you have more questions, or need parts, PM me.

Good luck with your project,

Earl