IGNORED

How much weight can a 2006 royal star tour deluxe handle

I think that 443 limit is probably artificially low just to cover their butt. And part of it is that the load limit of the rear tire is right at 900lbs. Add the riders weight plus the passengers weight plus the cargo and the weight of the bike then figure 60% if not a bit more of that is on the rear tire.

You can fix that by mounting a car tire, which has a load limit of around 1200lbs. I ride a Venture which is heavier that the RSTD. I'm a big guy and with the wife on back plus a few things in the trunk and bags we are right at 450-460lbs plus the weight of the bike and soon to be adding a trailer. I have as much confidence riding it as a 150lb rider with a 100lb passenger. I was much less confident when I had a motorcycle tire on it.

The suggested maximum weight limit addresses the maximum safe load for operating the bike. So this includes the tires (as already mentioned as well as suggested for a fix) and suspension and everything else (but the tires and suspension are what sticks out to me as probably the most critical). Just throwing that out there...

I would have a tendency to agree with the artificially low max weight rating, however, there is also the possibility that the max weight limit was computed and that is truly the limit.

Edited by LilBeaver

No, I don't shift into fifth at 31 mph, but I do tend to follow safety recommendations and those with the word "maximum". I am sure the bike can handle the added weight power-wise, but stopping and emergency handling not so sure. Pay your money, take your chances.

Yes, the bike will handle the weight no problem. A lot of us here go over the max weight limit. Put an Avon Venom or Dunlop Elite 3 on the back. They both have 900+ pound weight ratings. We run with loaded bags and sometimes pulling a camper, no problems with handling or stopping.

We own a 2007 RSTD. I'm 300lbs, and my wife is 150lbs. We just got back from a 2000 mile ride to San Antonio and the bike acted perfectly with us, and all our luggage on it. We took a ride up to Branson, Mo. a few weeks ago, loaded with 4 days worth of luggage, and the thing was smooth as all get out going through the Ozark Mountains.

We're probably riding 120-150lbs over the recommended when we go on a trip, but we haven't had any problems.

Having said that, I know it would better to be under the limit. So.....I guess I need to get my can on the treadmill.

Guest tx2sturgis
I weigh 274 right now. My wife weighs around 260 can we both ride one of these.

If you trike it, it can EASILY handle the weight. Or, have you thought about getting her her own bike? Riding 2 bikes might be a better solution.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I would love to do the 2 bike thing because I love my honda I have now. but she doesn't seem to eager to want to learn to drive one. I haven't even gotten her on the back of one yet.

here is my Honda

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/redrott/100_0811.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/redrott/100_0810.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/redrott/100_0813.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/redrott/100_0812.jpg

I must confess I've stressed my RSTD beyond those limits a time or two. I can't recommend anybody exceed the manufacturers limits. I can and do decide what is safe for how I personally use the bike.

I moved my daughter back to college this weekend. To facilitate the move I rented a uhaul trailer. The max speed on the trailer was very visibly posted at 45 MPH. I can only imagine how unreasonable weight loading and road conditions taken at worst case could lead someone to rate the trailer at that low speed. However, the reasonable and conscientious way I loaded the trailer, and given the road conditions I saw, 65 MPH seemed to be a reasonable speed for my use. The trailer actually handled better when loaded vs. empty. Your results may vary. Objects may be closer than they appear. You pays your money and you takes your chances....

Guest tx2sturgis

That Honda is a good lookin piece of butt jewelry, but not all that practical for long trips...( understatement!)

Have you entered that in any bike shows?

Well, I'm not going to lie. I think the both of you are too heavy combined for most mainstream bikes on the market. You may have to look elsewhere, as in a trike, or 2 bikes, or maybe...just maybe, a Boss Hoss. They can handle the weight. Be prepared for some deep and traumatic sticker shock. But...a small block chevy V-8 in a bike that weighs around 1100 pounds might be just the ticket. Cool as hell too.

http://www.bosshoss.com/images/BIKES_TRIKES/BHC3ZZ4/BHC3ZZ4_1.jpg

The Boss Hoss trike has a rated capacity of around 650 pounds passengers and cargo. NO PROBLEMO.

http://www.bosshoss.com/images/BIKES_TRIKES/BHC9ZZ4/BHC9ZZ4_6.jpg

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Just a local one around here. Not much competition in that one just one other bike. I would like to put it in more but not sure how it would do.

In a metric show it would do well.

Where is 'around here'?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm about 330LBS and my wife is about 275. When we do road trips she packs half the house so we usually fill every box on the bike plus stack crap higher than the windscreen on the trunk. I have the luggage rails on the side bags so we can stack crap there too. Is it safe? No. Is it recommended? Not a chance. Can it take it? Heeeeaall yeah! We ride like that all the time on week-long runs. I've run 90MPH on a 10deg grade uphill all day loaded up like that and my '99 RSV doesn't break a sweat. I still have horsepower for passing when I need it. Parking-lot navigating gets a little tricky and when we're parking loaded up like that in sand I usually ask my wife to step off "so she can guide me...:2143:." I'm on Dunlop 404's and I make sure I'm between 37 and 40 PSI when I load up. I sprung a slow leak once (bad bead on a new tire) and dang-near dropped the bike flipping a U-turn when I discovered it, so you want to be aware of your bike's condition before you try to carry a heavy load.

Just like any vehicle, you can usually go way over-load if you keep in mind a few rules:

1. You can't stop NEARLY as quickly. Leave lots of room in front of you, moreso than usual.

2. You can't pass as fast, so accept that sometimes you're going to be stuck behind slowpokes; especially on 2-lane roads.

3. You can't turn as sharp, so slow waaaay down on those turns until you get a good feel for how much lean you (and your bike) can handle. Your frame will be under more stress on the turns and you don't want to bend the frame. When you're over-weight there's no grey area between when you're not stressing the frame and when you are. When you've crossed that line POOF! You're toast.

4. You're going to put more stress on your engine, drivetrain, frame and brakes. Be prepared to reduce the longevity of your sled when repeatedly carrying a heavier load. More frequent maintenance will counteract the wear so you don't shorten the life of the bike or yourself.

5. Your fuel mileage is going to suck. Plan on stopping for fuel every 75-100 miles on a 6gal tank, especially if you're riding in to a strong head-wind.

6. If it's raining, pull over. It's generally accepted that you lose 20% of traction on a wet road with highway tires (unless you're on brickstones, then it's 40% hehe) but when you're overloaded it's more pronounced; especially on turns. your rear-end will have a tendancy to drift or even jump out from under you under a heavy load on a wet road. Though upright or on decently-paved interstate roads I haven't seen any big difference under a load. It's those poorly maintained county and forest roads that get ya.

That's just my opinion and my observation. No warranty is expressed or implied. Please don't sue me for trying this. Always follow your manufacturer's specs. If you don't, your deviation from the recommended specs are at your own risk (did I sufficiently defend myself against liability there?)!!