IGNORED

Charging???????

qdude

I posted earlier, not the battery for sure. As my 99 Venture gets hot the charging rate falls. Will start charging at 14.2 charge rate to battery. As it heats up, after 30 minutes the rate falls to 12 or less.

Battery reaches discharge after 3-4 hrs. I cleaned terminals at black plastic harness to Rectifier. I don't just want to replace rectifier without identifying problem.

Any ideas?

Does it sometimes not start the bike and sometimes it's Ok?

Charging is erratic?

I'm going to take a big wild guess here... the battery has a short in it.

You might take it back to were you bought it and ask them to put in on their machine to check it. If they do it will say it's not charged but then they won't be able to charge it. The machine will say it's too hot. If it's a kid running the machine you're screwed because he won't know what to do. If it's an experienced person he'll know the battery is bad. Even if it's brand new.

I might be right... I might be wrong. I tried..

Find the 3 wire Plug, between the Stator, and the Regulator/Rectifier unit. This plug has always been a trouble spot on Ventures. Open it up , check for burned pins, or dirty conntctions.

( might be your problem )

( you have to find this to change the regulator anyway )

None of the plugs on the bike are " Sealed "

They all have a small " Release clip " on one of the 4 sides.

The two halfs will pull appart, to access the male and female connector pins.

Measure the AC voltage to ground, on Each of the Three large ( #14 wires ) , with the plug connected. You should read 6 to 15 volts AC on each wire. OR read AC, Wire to wire.

What you are looking for is that All Three sets of readings are about the Same. If one wire is substantially lower then the other two then your Stator, HAS Failed. One set of the three windings, is bad.

Also, read the voltage on Each side of the plug, on each wire.

Is the Voltage same on each side ?? IF NOT, then that set of contacts in the plug is bad.

Also, With Engine OFF, and Ign OFF. Read Resistance " Thru " each set of contacts of the large white plug. ((( Should read Zero OHMS )))

If not, open and repair the Plug.

OR, cut out the Plug, and Strip, and solder the wires together useing Rosin Core solder. Cover the new solder joints, with 2 or 3 layers of Shrink Tubeing. (((( Not Black Tape )))

( I know Red Green, use's duct tape, but we don't )