IGNORED

Where do you think.......?

Iowawegian

Since it's Friday and all of you sluff off at work :moon: today give me your opinion...would ya?

Gary and I were awestruck during our trip this summer to the Canadian Rockies, Glacier and Beartooth Pass. It was so beautiful that it was breathtaking.

For those of you who have a lot of your states colored in on your maps, this question is for you....where do you think the most beautiful area to ride is?

I'm not talking a twistie road (Tail of Dragon, etc) but an area or state as a whole.

Just trying to add to the bucket list and I can't believe there is any place that can beat the scenery we say this summer.

Oh yeah....is the Redwood Forest worth riding from nowwhere land all the way out to California?

There are so many routes here in MN that it is truely difficult to identify any one (or two) area/routes which are better than others. Some say the river road. Others like the Grat Lakes run. Yet still others, like the run from Ely to Tower (probably my favorite)

Now, as for your question about the Redwood Forest. Yes, it is definately well worth the time to make that run down old 101.

But this just my opinion. And what do I know eh?

East of Vancouver, BC; Tennessee (Eastern half); Upper Penninsula of Michigan (Specifically the Keweenaw pennensula and anything else along Lake Superior) are the first things that come to mind for me...

I suppose I could go on and on with a lot of places that I have ridden and would happily return to ride again as could many people I am sure

"But this just my opinion. And what do I know eh?"

Your name my be Black Owl, but to those that know you it should be "Wise Owl". Glad to hear Redwood is on your list. It's now on mine!(by the way.....remember what you told me about Jasper? Have to disagree with you on that one...it was stunning!)

"Upper Penninsula of Michigan (Specifically the Keweenaw pennensula ...."

I agree....thought it was so pretty we had to go back a second time!

where do you think the most beautiful area to ride is?

Pretty well anywhere in the Canadian Rockys ... couple specific routes...

Kananaskis route thru Peter Lougheed National Park (west of Calgary)

Columbia Icefields (hwy 93) from Banff to Jasper

Hinton, Alberta, thru Jasper to Kamloops via hwy 16 (the Yellowhead) and hwy 5

hmmmm that was three (not a couple) wasn't it... heck, I could name several more LOL

Yes, Redwood Forest is a must see.

My all time favorite is still US-12 from Lolo Montana to Aberdeen Washington. Every kind of road along this route and so much to see, and Northern Idaho is breathtaking.

Can't forget Yosemite, I liked it much better then Yellowstone and Yosemite is number 1 on my list to see again.

I guess its all in opinions and alos location................

As for me I wouldnt take anything over the Blue Ridge Parkway. Although I have never been there on a bike I have seen the Rockies , Glacier Mountains and a lot of other Northern Mountain rranges I cant remember the names of. A little place caleed Nigh (spelling) Montana is beautiful. Little river that feeds directly form the thawing mountain snowpeaks.

David

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of the destinations listed refer to the beautiful west coast. I have never ridden there but have no doubt that it should be done (and I plan on doing it also) but there are some gorgeous areas in southern Utah. Not far off of I-70 are four National Parks, Arches, Canyonlands, Zions and Bryce Canyon.

If you plan on doing the west coast, I would plan on stopping and spending some time either on the way out or the way back at these scenic locations. Arches and Zions are by far the better of the four, Bryce Canyon is short (less than 1/2 day) and Canyonlands is a lot of overlooks unless you really like to backpack/hike.

Spring or Fall are the best times but can be visited almost year round on bikes.

Dave

I have been to a lot of states, and I still think my little slice of heaven here in East TN. beats most of them. I did enjoy the moutains and canyons in AZ.

I've always wanted to see the redwoods out west, and hope I live long enough to do it one day.

Hi Debbie,

I suppose it is a matter of personal opinion. Here in Ohio we have the Hocking Hills State Park in the southeastern area of Ohio. It is beautiful especially in the fall.

The Black Hills of South Dakota also were wonderful. We have not at this point ridden in the Canadian Rockies or Glacier National Park, which I can only imagine are spectacular. I have always wanted to ride our bike through Yellowstone. We were within 800 miles of reaching her this last time. So I am getting closer. The photos you shared with us of your trip look real hard to beat though.

Yama Mama

Iowawegian,

We were down there 4 times, with a group of 12 to 16 bikes, back in the last century. Things were a lot calmer and cheaper then. Had a good time and the people were friendly, especially when you get away from the border. Winter time trips to a warm place.

Take a good long weekend or two to three days of your holidays and do;

Vancouver to Whistler, Whistler to Cache Creek Via the Duffy lake road, the Cache Creek return to Vancouver via the Fraser Canyon and Agassiz with a worthwhile stop at the Harrison Hotsprings Hotel...

Lots of things to do and see for example;

You could try out Whistler/Blackcomb's new record breaking "Peak to Peak" gondola, 4.4km/2.73miles long, with an unsupported span 3.024km/1.88 miles long.