IGNORED

Former "brakes" post saved me...

As a not-so-glamorous part of my job, I occasionally have to visit suppliers when they are giving us grief. I shouldn't have to do it, I don't really like to do it, and they really don't like me to do it. Sigh..

Anyways, I have to make a trip to Brampton, Ont, which is about 150 km (90 miles) from my house. Today was supposed to be the first nice day in ages (no thunderstorms) and I haven't been on the bike in over a week. So, I decide "What the heck.., I am taking the bike." The trip there was fantastic - the 401 (major highway) rolled right along with none of the typical backups and delays that seem to be an indication of summer in Ontario. I get there, I listen and nod politely to the excuses/misdirection.. cut through it all as best I can, have them draft up some action plans, arrange with my business to give them a break on tomorrow's delivery so they could actually do what I requested, and then I head back out.

It's warm & humid, but not unbearable like it has been the last few days. I jump onto the bike, head back to the 401 (highway) to go home - I had been on surface streets for about 10 mins, the temp gauge was reading normal, everything going just fine, when the bike starts to lug a bit. Then much more dramatically...

"hmmm.." I am on the on-ramp to the highway already trying to merge onto 4 full lanes of traffic doing 70 mph (compared to my 50) and the bike is straining like it is giving birth. I am running out of ramp, but there is a nice paved shoulder. Hit the 4-way flashers, navigate as best I can to the shoulder, and as soon as I pull in the clutch, both wheels lock.

"Whoah !".... keep things upright, but there were some tense moments. Shut the bike off, try to push it: no go - full lock. That nice super-heated-brake-pad odour fills my helmet.

My mind flashes back to a previous post that recalled the brake fluid on a hot humid day expanding to the point where the linked front & back brakes locked. The suggestioon was to keep a 8mm wrench handy. I had taken it to heart, had the wrench, plus a 16inch length of hose to slip over the bleeder.

Aside from some very choice expletives about how close the passing vehicles were as I was madly bleeding off the excess brake fluid, I had no issues whatsoever and was back mobile within 10 minutes.

So, to whomever posted that suggestion, I (and my family) heartily thank you:thumbsup2:.

Postscript : I have ridden in some hot weather, and had no issues. All the fluid was near last year when I picked up the bike in August. Any ideas why all of a sudden things decided to lock up ?

PPS: And, for information's sake, I got off the 401 at the next exit, found a quiet parking lot and gave the bike a good once over. Then proceeded to thoroughly test the brakes, and found no issues. Regardless, I completely changed the brake fluid (front and rear) once I got home.

Thanks again - this group is fantastic.

From what I have heard this situation can easily occur if the M/C is over filled. There is a flexible reservour gasket that give some space for expansion and after that is used up the system begins to pressurize. Without the dramatic event you endured, it can just wear the brakes out in half the time.

Dave.....welcome to the "Holy crap my brakes locked up" club.

Great thinking on your part to have the 8mm handy, I have had to do that with my newest '89. The biggest culprit, besides being too full with no room for the fluid to expand into is crud (for lack of a better word) contaminating the system and plugging the expansion port in the rear master cylinder. I have removed and cleaned a dozen 1st gens that had gelled up fluid tht block the hole and locked the rear brake up.

If you haven't completely cleaned your rear reservior or master cylinder you might want to think about doing that. Nice thinking on the fix and be safe :happy34:

I hope your testimony will encourage others to carry an 8mm wrench with them. I am not sure if it was my post you saw, but I did try to hammer that home a while back. What was so frustrating was to read about guys working on their brakes at home and then taking off for a ride and then having the brakes lock up when they got too hot and had too much fluid in them, and not having a wrench with them.

I am glad it worked out for you and you did not get hurt in the process. I also agree with Squidley about cleaning out the brake system and putting in some good dot 4 fluid.

Thanks for posting and hopefully it will help others.

RandyA

It may well have been yours, Randya... I've picked up quite a few tips/tricks from your posts.

Wish I hadn't had the reason to post it (ie: if it never had happened), but thought I would pass it along. For the 2 ounces that the wrench, hose and smal rag that I keep in the rear case weigh, I think it is one of the handiest investments I've made, and one of the best ones to recommend to others.

I'll get to cleaning out that master cylinder ASAP. I actually enjoy riding on an open freeway (a lot don't), but I certainly didn't like sitting at the side of one wondering if some other vehicle was going to make my kids orphans.

When I got my VR The M/C was filled to above the window so no level could be seen. It was very clear and looked like there may have been no fluid in it. The day after getting it home, I started the bike and the brake warning light came on so I opened up the M/C and it was indeed over full. Turned out the rear reservoir was down.

My suspicion is that when the warning came on the PO added fluid to the front system which may have bled through to the rear enough to turn off the warning. I wonder how often that happens. If the M/C is level, there is no point in adding fluid above 1/2 - 2/3 up the window.

My suspicion is that when the warning came on the PO added fluid to the front system which may have bled through to the rear enough to turn off the warning. I wonder how often that happens. If the M/C is level, there is no point in adding fluid above 1/2 - 2/3 up the window.

There is no connection between the front and rear reservoir. Completely seperate systems. The 1st gens have the rear caliper and left front caliper linked together and the right front caliper is only hooked to the hand brake lever reservoir.

RandyA