IGNORED

Polished aluminum / painted silver engine

SilvrT

I've been looking at pics of '99 & up RSV's. I notice that as of 2004, the clean, sparkling, bright, "polished" aluminum / silver appearance of the engine has been replaced with a lot of "black" and it appears to have less chrome/polished aluminum. In other words, it sure doesn't look as nice (IMO).

Anyone have comments about this? Why did Yamaha change this? was it to keep the cost down or? ... personally, I prefer the "shiny" look of the 2003 and prior years. What all parts got the "axe"?

I do like the look of the older engine covers. That silver looks more natural. I took my covers off all together and have not put them back on. If I've got to look at the black I'll look at the engine block. I think it runs cooler in this Texas heat without those fake fins.

Instead of being bare aluminum, the engine was painted black and then the edges of the "cooling" fins were ground to strip the paint off and be shiny and stand out better. I don't know what models were like that for sure. I thought it was only the midnight versions, but that might not be right.

I like the Black with shine on the finns the best, but I always have. When I have rebuilt old bikes over the last 25 years I've almost always given them that look, and most folks love it. Plus it's easyer than ploshing all that Alum. :whistling:

I like the Black with shine on the finns the best, but I always have. When I have rebuilt old bikes over the last 25 years I've almost always given them that look, and most folks love it. Plus it's easyer than ploshing all that Alum. :whistling:

I think most of what has "disappeared" is the silver painted parts...been replaced by black or something and the fins have the "edge treatment". Unless I'm mistaken, none of that silver painted stuff requires polishing...I don't polish the silver painted parts on my engine. But, it also appears as though some polished stuff has been "de-glamorized" as in, not polished anymore or does the blackened out parts just give that visual impression?

btw, I've redone a couple bikes and have blackened out the fins and shaved off the paint on the edges...I liked that on those style of bikes but I sure don't on the RSV.

I've been looking at pics of '99 & up RSV's. I notice that as of 2004, the clean, sparkling, bright, "polished" aluminum / silver appearance of the engine has been replaced with a lot of "black" and it appears to have less chrome/polished aluminum. In other words, it sure doesn't look as nice (IMO).

Anyone have comments about this? Why did Yamaha change this? was it to keep the cost down or? ... personally, I prefer the "shiny" look of the 2003 and prior years. What all parts got the "axe"?

if you like it, their going to get rid of it. They haven't changed anything on this bike except the color. I like everything about my 99RSV, and I was shocked when they made the engine black, it just doesn't shine. A couple of us were even thinking about having the fins chromed. As is, I too would like to know how the person that took off the fins kept the anti-freeze drain plugs in??:confused24:

I've been thinking about having my fins either chromed -- or powder coated to match the bike....

If you did the powder coat, what color would you use? I think the powder coat is a great idea. That would be different. Of course, you can't go wrong with chrome either.

Wow, stoutman! What is keeping the block plugs in place and keeping the antifreeze from spraying everywhere???

If you look close at the fins there is no boss on the inside that sits up against the block plugs. The plugs are held in with the friction of the plug alone. Mine have held just fine for over 18,000 miles.