IGNORED

And another Quest for a bigger rack....

Nope....not that rack. You guys, always one tracking it. Well now that you're here anyway I'm looking for a bigger trunk rack. The one that came on the bike is of unknown make or model to me and as I don't get to see any 1st Gens around here so I'm going to throw this out there.

Mine is only 12" wide and 9" deep. It is mounted on a set of Z brackets to the truck to raise it high enough to clear the backrest.

The pattern I'd like to match for the mounting is 4" X 9 1/4" to use the existing holes and backing supports inside the trunk. If a larger one had longer support legs to give it some height that would work.

If a larger rack had short legs or bolted into the frame of the rack as the current one does I could reuse the Z brackets and mount to a 4" X 11 1/4" pattern.

I've got a trunk bag I'd like to be able to use but it's a bit wide for my rack. I'd be looking for something about 18" wide and maybe 12" deep but I could get by with 9" or 10" if needed.

I've had not much luck on fleaBay for anything that might work so I'd thought I'd ask if anyone had a parts bike with a rack they aren't going to be using that might meet my needs. I'd buy outright or some horse trading for my old rack which is in very good condition.

I'm open to any suggestions, advice or offers.

Thanks

Mike

(quote) The one that came on the bike is of unknown make or model to me

In my opinion after reviewing the photos, the rack appears to be a home made rack that someone made, and then they had it chromed.

Even the attaching angles and doubler plates on the inside, (to me), just dont appear to be factory made.

If this is true, you will play havac in matching the hole patteren with another rack.

I myself would probubly just go buy the rack that I want, and plug the 4 holes in the trunk lid.

You can take the lid off, have the holes filled and sanded, then match painted to your bike, and then just drill new holes to match the new rack that you really want.

just my 2 cents

Hey Eck.

I got to admit you may be right. I've looked at every pic of a 1st gen I could find and haven't seen anything like it. I've run across two 1st gens here in Omaha and neither one has a rack on it.

If it is I'd like to meet the guy who made it. It's a really nice job and and well made. I'd like to have him build me one to my specs.

But I'm going to try this. Anyone with a trunk rack that is wider than 12" can you post a pic of the rack and how it sits on the trunk? I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks again

Mike

Thanks Barend,

Either one of them would meet my needs. The size is right on target and the mounting could be altered enough to make it work.

Back to eBay and the swap meets now that I know what they look like.

About the only thing mine will hold is a 6 pack cooler. Geesh.

Thanks again.

Mike