IGNORED

HD pipes loss of power

OK here goes. I was inquiring if anyone had a power loss from installing HD pipes on their RSV. Everyone was telling me that they experienced no loss of power just better sound. I kept changing pipes and still a loss of power and loss of top end. I found a set that seemed to bring my power back that came off a 05 HD Road King. Thought the problem was solved. Wrong. Well here is the tale of the tape so to speak. Changing pipes was not the only thing I changed. I also at this time added a set of the Yamaha Billet Carburetor Covers. Those who have installed these no where I'm going with this.

The install requires you to remove two bolts from your carb diaphragm cover to use in the installation and replace them with the supplied bolts. There are two shims that fit into the diaphragm holes to secure the covers.

Well....... You really should make sure that the shims are seated in the holes...... If you don't you create a huge opening for air to enter the carb from the outside, bypassing the air filter. The result is that when you twist the throttle full you create a vacuum in the carbs and the diaphragm gets sucked into the carb from the rush of the outside air.

The tech working on my bike said that when the diaphragms got sucked in, I was then only getting fuel from two carbs instead of four to the cylinders.

It turned out to be an easy fix. Re seat the diaphragms and realign the shims. Problem solved.

Now I wont say who installed the carb covers :whistling: or who might of forgot to check the diaphragm covers to make sure that they were tight. He will here from me ( I did it) later on this.

Just as a side note... When I was trying to find out what was wrong with the power I took my bike up to 95MPH where it quit accelerating. Now think on that....... A V4 that will do 95MPH on two carbs into 4 cylinders and still be as fast as a Harley. :>)

Moakster