IGNORED

Decrease in bikers safety...

1 Canuck

In the news today, Virginia Tech Transportation Institute has found that drivers text messaging increase their collision risk by 23 times than when not texting!

On the cell phone when driving 6x the greater risk.

Why are drivers doing this in the first place? Why would they want to live with the nightmare of being responsible for the injuring or the fatality of a bicyclist, pedestrian, motorcyclist, etc...

Some states it is illegal and others it is not? Why?

My opinion...all governments need to place huge fines on these people using these devices when driving.

Thankfully, I don't know of anyone yet who has been involved in an accident, due to using a cell phone while driving.

I totally agree. Nothing scarier then seeing someone text while you're on the road with them on a bike. Seen it lots of times. Cell phone folks usually go slower when they are chatting then speed past you to make up time I guess. Nobody is that important that they need to be on the phone all the time.

Guest seuadr

Why are drivers doing this in the first place? Why would they want to live with the nightmare of being responsible for the injuring or the fatality of a bicyclist, pedestrian, motorcyclist, etc...

it's quite simple canuck, bad things happen to other people.

they quite firmly believe that they will not hit and kill someone, because it has not happened yet, ya?

it's retarded, but it's prevalant.

It probably hasen't happened to them yet because other people see them coming at them and get out of the way just in time, and because their on the phone, they never even know it happened. That's happened to me several times. I lay on the horn and I get flipped off as if I did something wrong. I wonder what would happen if it wasn't the horn and was a pistol pointed at them instead? Not that I would do that, but it has gone my head a few times. Turn around is fair play... right? I know, two wrongs don't make a wright... but three rights do make a left!

I agree. I really wish these gutless politicians would pass laws that have some teeth and then make the fines hurt. I have to admit these people make me furious so if you're ever somewhere and hear a guy cussing someone out for doing this very thing it's probably me.:missingtooth:

A couple of guys I work with has a cell phone jammer...Illegal as heck but works wonderfully.

I would love to put one of them on my bike...just to shut it down while they are around me.

I was real surprized how well they work. They turned on one at work and the whole place was without service. Takes about 3 seconds to shut them all down.

As far as you can see...cell phones stop working...

They bought them from a china website somewhere...$2-300 each.

I am going to get on my soap box!:soapbox: This whole subject really gets to me. It is bad enough trying to be seen by cagers when on a motorcycle, with people using cell phones. But now you have to worry about TEXT MESSAGING. To risk your own life and the life of other innocent people, for the totally unnecessary use of TEXT MESSAGING is absurd.

It usually takes someone to be hurt or killed for things to be changed. I would think the insurance companies might have lobbiest to assist in forming such legislation.

I wonder if anyone in the ABATE groups have done any attempts to help change this.

YAMA MAMA:2cents::witch_brew::confused24::thumbdown:

it's quite simple canuck, bad things happen to other people.

they quite firmly believe that they will not hit and kill someone, because it has not happened yet, ya?

it's retarded, but it's prevalant.

True! Even that woman a few months ago that was applying nail polish while driving, and then ran into the back of a stopped motorcycle at an intersection, killing the female rider. Everyday, she likely thinks of the rider and the kids that are now left without a mother? At least I would hope so.

What will it take for all politicians to take the blinders off and see the logic and necessity? I don't want myself, or one of my family or friends to become a statistic of this ignorance!

• 2 months later...

The only thing more dangerous than a woman driving a mini van is a woman on a cell phone while driving a mini van ( sorry ladies, but is is usually women driving the mini vans). I would love to get a jammer or two and I know friends who would buy them as well. We all know politicians are gutless.

Unfortunately, on the other side of the coin, with blue tooth technology, bikers are getting in on the talking and driving bit as well. Actually know a young man who used to text while riding a crotch rocket. Thankfully he doesn't ride anymore!!

What I have personally seen out here - probably the same everywhere - is that now that cell phone usage is illegal - you watch folks looking DOWN to try and get a number, looking DOWN to dial it, heads bobbing (sometimes) up and Down to talk on the phone to not get caught. Even folks with ear pieces continue to look DOWN to find / dial a number.

Texting - in my opinion - should carry a HUGE fine - what are people thinking? What can be THAT important? Nothing, but that is my personal opinion. The other "strange" or dangerous behaviour I see around here is people looking at their GPS in dash units - trying to figure out where to go. Sorry in advance for my :soapbox:

The other "strange" or dangerous behaviour I see around here is people looking at their GPS in dash units - trying to figure out where to go.

Yep, had a guy coming into my lane the other day in a SUV and I looked over and he was punching something into his GPS.

I can't imagine what distraction is going to hit the market next.

RandyA

Guest Swifty
In the news today, Virginia Tech Transportation Institute has found that drivers text messaging increase their collision risk by 23 times than when not texting!

On the cell phone when driving 6x the greater risk.

yeah, I heard about that statistic on the radio while driving to work, texting Tuckett, shifting gears, along a curvy road, drinking my morning coffee. zoom, zoom.

:whistling: