IGNORED

Rear Wheel Bearings

Red Knight

Hi , I own a 2005 RSV, with 48,000 plus Kms on it, can anybody tell me if they have had any problems with their Rear Wheel bearing exploding on them , the mechanic I brought the bike to tells me this is due to normal wear and tear, therefore it isn’t covered under warranty, just wondering in Newfoundland

Red Knight

Hi , I own a 2005 RSV, with 48,000 plus Kms on it, can anybody tell me if they have had any problems with their Rear Wheel bearing exploding on them , the mechanic I brought the bike to tells me this is due to normal wear and tear, therefore it isn’t covered under warranty, just wondering in Newfoundland

Red Knight

This is not the first time someone has said this here (may have been you, for all I know), but it is the WORST kind of stinking excrement someone can spread. I'm not blaming you for saying it - I understand that a dishonest dealer said it to you.

Here are the facts:

• This bike has an unlimited mile, 5 year warranty (at least in the USA).
  • There are no exclusions in the warranty for wheel bearings.
  • The Periodic Maintenance chart in the owner's manual lists NO required maintenance for the wheel bearings.
  • The maintenance chart DOES say to "Check bearings for smooth operation." every 4,000 miles, and "Replace if necessary."
  • For reference, this is exactly the same type of "maintenance" listed for the sidestand switch, front fork and shock absorber assembly, ALL of which are covered under warranty.

Any dealer who refuses to repair the wheel bearings under warranty is simply a thief who thinks you are too stupid to see them stealing from you. Make a complaint directly to Yamaha. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

It is kind of unusual for the wheel bearings to go out on that low mileage. I have 60K miles on my bike and they weren't showing any sign of wear.

Also, I would question the bearings being a "wear and tear" item. If necessary, contact Yahama about that one. If they want to charge you for it, you can pick up the bearings at a parts store or bearing supplier and change them out yourself. It's a very simple procedeure.

:080402gudl_prv:

Unfortunately, here is a bigger fact than any of the ones I posted above - the Dealer is more critical to getting warranty coverage than any other factor!

If a dealer tells Yamaha they think something should be covered, 99% of the time it is just automatic. But if one says they don't think a particular problem should be covered, then the manufacturer will virtually always agree with them, and then it is usually a long, uphill battle to get them to turn around. In those cases, the sooner you can get a regional rep to personally look at your vehicle, the better. It is hard to blame the manufacturer in those cases, who else should they trust? So get your facts together, be polite, but be insistent that they need to either cover the problem or provide written documentation to show how it is excluded from their legal warranty.

When you find an honest dealer, it pays to be nice to them and keep them on your side!

Goose

This is not the first time someone has said this here (may have been you, for all I know), but it is the WORST kind of stinking excrement someone can spread. I'm not blaming you for saying it - I understand that a dishonest dealer said it to you.

Here are the facts:

• This bike has an unlimited mile, 5 year warranty (at least in the USA).
  • There are no exclusions in the warranty for wheel bearings.
  • The Periodic Maintenance chart in the owner's manual lists NO required maintenance for the wheel bearings.
  • The maintenance chart DOES say to "Check bearings for smooth operation." every 4,000 miles, and "Replace if necessary."
  • For reference, this is exactly the same type of "maintenance" listed for the sidestand switch, front fork and shock absorber assembly, ALL of which are covered under warranty.

Any dealer who refuses to repair the wheel bearings under warranty is simply a thief who thinks you are too stupid to see them stealing from you. Make a complaint directly to Yamaha. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

What he said!