IGNORED

Ten Thousand BMW's

Venturous Randy

We are having a BMW rally out at the fairgrounds and they expect about 10,000 BMW's to be there. I rode to the fairgrounds this evening and it was like going back to the nest with a whole bunch of bees. They have huge tents set up for vendors(I guess) and for some of the campers, they have identical blue and white two man size tents set up in long rows, in perfect alignment and touching each other. I wish I had taken my camera with me, it just looked so different than what we had at Asheville.

I hope they have a good safe time here and I am sure they will be bringing major bucks to this area. We are expecting thunderstorms to be moving through the area for the next several days.

RandyA

My Dad is going down to the rally on his R1200GS. BMWMOA contracts with a company to set up the tents, supply them with cots and sleeping bags, etc. and then tear them down at the end of the rally. The participants can rent these tents for a reasonable (reasonable in BMW terms) fee. It's a nice perk to a bigger rally.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same group does this at Star Days or the WingDing.

RR

Guest Boomerbiker

On the return from Glacier last year they were congregating at the fairgrounds in Gillette, Wyoming for the annual BMW bikefest. I remember passing quite a few of them with bags that looked like suitcases. A tourer was parked next to my Dark Cherry during the overnight in Custer and a guy came over and remarked at how sharp my bike looked asking the name of the manufacturer. He gave nary a glance to the gussied up 1200 LT. I guess the Venture looks like a real motorcycle.

Yesterday while coming home from work there were two city cop cars with lights on with a BMW pulled over. About 9 oclock this evening I rode out and there was another BMW pulled over by a city cop. I would expect this at "The Dragon", but around here with BMW's? This surprises me.

RandyA

Can you imagine what it would be like to locate your personal BMW in the corral.... I wouldn't wanna try... I bet a few are never found... :whistling:

I wondered about that also. I bet, as a general rule, these guys are not much in to mods and changing things as some of us are. I know that if my 1st gen was parked with a big bunch of other MK1's, I would not have a problem picking it out. Either it is because I am unique or odd. :scratchchin:

RandyA

10,000 x $5,000 (factoring for old and new) = $50,000,000

Hey Randy - get the tractor strailer ready we got work to do.

Now walk very quitely and maybe no one will here us!

ANYBODY WANNA BUY A BEEMER ?

Just a joke but can't you just see two old Teeneessee boys giving it a try ?

:thumbsup:

Rode out again this evening to the Fairgrounds and I have never seen so many tents. Just about any direction I rode this afternoon, I encountered beemers. Here are some interesting observations:

I hardly ever saw anymore than two riding together and most were riding as a lone bike.

I saw very few riding two up.

Most were dressed with riding gear and a lot had reflective strips everywhere.

That group definate does not have an eating disorder because whether the rider looked 25 or 65, they looked like they did not weigh over 140 lbs, even with all the riding gear on.

Many did give somewhat of a wave and usually it was just raising the fingers while the hand never left the grip, or they gave a big wave. None of the pointing to the ground stuff.

I saw several triked BMW's.

So far I have not seen anything bad on the news about crashes. There are several of the large blinking mobile billboards around warning people to pay attention as there are bikes in the area. The news said this group will add about six million bucks to the local economy.

RandyA