IGNORED

How well does a 2008 Venture S handle mountain riding w/o fuel injection?

My wife and I are planning a ride to do some 14,000 foot mountains in Colorado this summer but I do not want to have my Venture give out on me nor overheat doing so. We love the bike and have riden the Blue Ridge Parkway without problem but, of course, they are not nearly as high as some of the roads in Colorado.

We should live to never regret the experiences we have not had.

:photographing:

been to the mountains 5 times with mine,elevations as high as 13000 ft VERY VERY if any noticable power loss.I have aftermarket pipes and I occasionally got a small pop on decel. Tom

Irene and I went to top of Pike's Peak, Mount Evans, and Trail Ridge Road during the Ft. Collins rally. We also did The Beartooth on that trip. We had absolutely no problems. The bike was weaker at 13 and 14k elevations, but ran fine and idled well in the parking lots.

The only real problem I've ever had from a Venture (first or second) in the tall mountains was from the clutch hydraulic system on my first gen. My fault. The fluid was old and needed changed. A flush took care of it.

Ron,

These Yamaha V-4s have always been set so lean from the factory that they actually run better at high altitudes with much better mileage than on the flat land.

In other words....it is NOT a PROBLEM :hurts:

Hope this satisfies your concern,

Rick

The quick reply to my question not only helped us decide where to go on the trip but also reminded me of how great bikers can be. Thanks to all of you who responded so quickly!:thumbsup:We should live to never regret the things we have not tried.

Ron,

These Yamaha V-4s have always been set so lean from the factory that they actually run better at high altitudes with much better mileage than on the flat land.

In other words....it is NOT a PROBLEM :hurts:

Hope this satisfies your concern,

Rick

comming from the flat lander. I rode up into the mountains of NC, SC, Tn, last year, and got better gas milage, even pulling the trailer

I was following my cousin up in Colorado at very high elevations. I could tell my bike didn't have as much power. I still had plenty however to ask him if he needed a push when we were going up a hill and he told me he was wide open. He was riding a Harley Ultra Classic. I could easily pass him. You'll notice some loss but you will still be happy with the power and how well it runs.

Ya gotta remember that up until just a FEW years ago ALL motorcycles (and cars, and trucks) used "old fashioned" carburation....(Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when the ONLY "injected" vehicle around was a "fuelie" vette!:thumbsup:. Anywho, back in the day we all got along just fine, whereever we went, with our "old fashioned" intake systems. Long story short, you shouldn't have ANY problems whatsoever on 99.9% of the roads you'll ever travel. (and, there's one less magic box to go south and leave ya stranded!!